Saturday 1 February 2020

What I Read: January

Thank God January Is Over! What a long ass month in terms of life and kick starting 2020 but a quick month for readng. I had an okay reading last year and I wanted to improve on that in 2020 which is why I'm a little disappointed in the amount of books I actually read in January but some of these books were a little long and took me a while to finish.

The first book I read in January was Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman. This is the second installment in the Arc Of A Scythe Trilogy. If you haven't heard about this series, it follows Citra and Rowan who are thrust unexpectedly into the world of Scythes in a world where death, poverty, famine and disease have been vanquished. Picking straight up from where Scythe ended, Thunderhead is again another jam packed book that is filled with tons of twists and turns and an ending that had my mouth hanging open in shock and in desperate need of reading the third and final installment straight away.

And of course with how much I loved Thunderhead and how it ended, I just had to pick up The Toll straight away after finishing Thunderhead. Now I wanted to love this final installment as much as I loved the first two but this final wild ride didn't quite hit the spot. I understand that there was a long game being played throughout the book but at times it felt overly drawn out and hard to keep an interest in. And as for the ending. No I won't accept it. It wasn't what I was expecting and I didn't enjoy it one bit. I had thought there was going to be at least one final showdown with all the politics, twists, backstabbing and shocks but it didn't work that way. You may love the way this series ends but I didn't enjoy it, especially after the way that both books One and Two set it up.


And the last book I read in January was one of my most hyped books for the year and I'm already kicking myself for readng it so fast as I now have a year and a half wait for the next book. A Heart So Fierce And Broken is the second book in the Cursebreakers series. This book continues off where A Curse So Dark And Lonely finished but instead of focusing on Rhen and Harper, this sequel follows Grey and what's happened to him since his face off with Lilith in the first book. I can not put into words how much I loved this book. It was definitely my favourite read of the month. I adored Grey as a character in the first book so getting to extend and learn more about his character as well as introducing several new characters that added to Grey as a character made me love this book more than I thought possible. The twist near the end was one I didn't see coming and the final twist is going to make Book Three one of my most hyped books of next year, I just wish I didn't have to wait so long to get my hands on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment