Thursday 6 August 2020

What I Read: July


July, oh July what a reading month you were for me. I read a whopping nine books in July, the most I’ve ever read in a single month. And apart from two, I thoroughly enjoyed reading every book I picked up.

First in July I picked up and reread A Place Called Perfect by Helena Duggan. I originally read it last year but wanted to refresh my mind on what happened in the first book before I continued on with the series. Following a young girl called Violet who moves to a small town called Perfect, this trilogy follows Violet as she realises Perfect may not be as perfect as she believed it was and the adventures her and friend Boy go on to save their beloved town. After reading Book One again, I quickly found myself lost in Book Two, then Book Three and before I knew it the series was over and I found myself wanting to read it all over again. Helena Duggan creates an amazing setting even though the story never strays from the town of Perfect. Violet, Boy and the whole host of colourful character this series has are well written, humorous and you find by the end of Book One you’re already attached to them. Such a well written middle grade that you wouldn’t believe is middle grade that is addicting, quick to read and will leave you wanting more whilst simultaneously wanting to reread them straight away. 

  After bingeing the Perfect series I was a little unsure of what I wanted to read next and decided to dip my toe back into contemporary, a genre I haven’t read in a long time. And I must have enjoyed it as I read not one but two adult contemporaries in July. The first was Welcome To Rosie Hopkin’s Sweet Shop Of Dreams by Jenny Colgan. Following Rosie, an auxiliary nurse who’s given the job of going to a sleepy country village to help her great aunt Lillian pack up her beloved home and sweet shop, this delightful novel has two timelines that intertwine beautifully. One timeline is set in present day and follows Rosie as she’s getting to know her great aunt and what it’s like to live in the countryside whilst the second one follows Lillian back in the 1940’s admits the war and the heartbreaking story of her finding her one and only love. There were parts where this book was a little slow but it was still highly enjoyable, the intertwining plotlines giving a wonderful look at how different life was back in the 40’s. I fully intend to read more of Jenny Colgan‘s books now I know I can still enjoy a good contemporary or two. 

And the second contemporary I read this month is one I originally tried to read back in March but had no luck getting into. Second time round though, I was hooked from beginning to end. The Flat Share is a split POV contemporary that switches between Tiffy and Leon who share a flat, a bed in fact but have never met. Following a bad break up, Tiffy is in need of a new home and when she sees Leon’s advert which whilst unconventional is the best of a bad bunch, she jumps at it. The split POV of this books follows Tiffy as she becomes accustomed to her new living arrangements whilst also trying to move on from her creepy ex who just happens to keep popping up wherever she is. And then you have Leon who’s a nurse who works with terminally ill patients and is trying to help prove his younger brothers innocence for a crime he’s been convicted of committing. This book had every emotion. There was anger, sadness, happiness, a good deal of humour and it really hit home as a more realistic contemporary which can sometimes get lost in romance or contemporary novels. If you’re looking for a way to ease yourself into the contemporary genre then this book is definitely a good way of doing so. 

After reading The Flat Share I still wasn’t feeling like jumping right back into my usual YA reading so I picked up the highly raved Daisy Jones And The Six. Told in the style of an interview, DJATS follows the exploits of a hit fictional band in the 70’s and what lead to their explosive split. I did not enjoy this book. I finished it but I did not enjoy it. It was very long winded, taking almost twice as long as necessary to get to points and important events throughout the book because it had to be told from multiple POV’s. It was obvious where a lot of the plotlines were going and whilst I enjoyed the setting and the premise, reading it was almost a chore and I think it would be best to listen to the audiobook than read the physical book if you’re planning on reading this. 

July was the month for rereads as I finally got around to rereading Clockwork Angel by Cassie Clare. I originally read this in 2018 and definitely needed a reread before I could finish the trilogy. Clockwork Angel follows young Tessa Gray who comes to London in hopes of reuniting with her brother. But she’s wickedly kidnapped by a pair calling themselves the Dark Sisters and tortured until she allows them to manipulate and use her unknown powers. From there she’s thrust into the world of Shadowhunters and Downworlders, meeting the dashing Will Herondale and Jem Carstaiers along the way. I adored this book when I originally read it but rereading it made me realise just how much I love this book, this series in general. 

And as soon as I finished reading Clockwork Angel, I just had to pick up Clockwork Prince. Following the events of the first book, the plot quickly thickens with deception aplenty, a love triangle and a shock ending. I seriously can’t get enough of this series, as I write this I’m currently halfway through the third book in the series and I’m still hooked. There is something so addictive about this trilogy that The Mortal Instruments is lacking but for the life of me I can’t put my finger on it. Whilst Cassie Clare writes a brilliant love triangle in this series, it won’t be the only thing that keeps you turning those pages and by the end you’ll have forgotten mostly about it when the other plot lines come to fruition. 


And the last book I read in July was actually an e-arc provided to me by NetGalley. The Witching 
Stone follows Alfie who joins his dad on a trip to a sleepy village to forget about his ex girlfriend. Yet after being left alone for five minutes, not only does Alfie make a friend in Mia, a girl he meets in the graveyard but he also manages to summon and link himself to the villages infamous witch Meg who was killed over three hundred years ago. This book had/s a great premise and gives me slight Hocus Pocus vibes but unfortunately fell a little short for me. It came across a little rushed, some of the scenes could have easily been drawn out, there was little against Alfie and Mia as they worked to deal with the newly risen witch and for me it just let what could have been a fantastic book down. I will probably buy this when it’s released in October but I won’t be a in a rush to reread it anytime soon 

No comments:

Post a Comment