Thursday 6 May 2021

What I Read: April

How are we already in May? Like honestly, 2021 is just flying past without much to show for it. I mean I’ve got a new desperately needed bookcase to rave about but that’s about it. But we not here to bemoan life, we’re here to discuss the four books I read and the two I started during the month of April. I know I’ve been quiet here for a while but I’ve been slumping reading wise and trying to stay as mentally sound as possible whilst working all the hours under the sun and not catching Miss Rona. However I seem to be coming out of my slump which right now is the important part, so let’s get on with it. 

I kicked off April with a contemporary, yes you read that right a contemporary. After a slumpy Middle Grade March I wanted something light hearted that I could read relatively quickly without having to remember much about the world or the characters. And Wedding Season by Katie Fforde was perfect for that. Following three women who work together during wedding season and strike up a friendship, this book follows their ups and downs from family woes to relationships to jobs, all whilst trying to pull off the wedding of the year. And I liked this book, it didn’t blow me away but it did leave me feeling nice and cosy inside, it had me rooting for the romances, the prospects that these three women were given and how their friendship blossomed throughout the book. It’s a good choice if you need a little cheery pick me up or need something light hearted to get you out of a slump. It wasn’t a five star read for me but got a solid four stars on Goodreads. 

Next I read a book from another genre I don’t tend to read a lot of anymore. Cold Hearted by Beverly Barton is a crime thriller novel with a sprinkling of romance. Centred around recently widowed Jordan Price, this follows the independent investigation into Jordan’s late husband’s apparent suicide, one which could prove that Jordan is the cold hearted black widow they all think she is. I’m going to start off by saying the plot of this book was good, it kept you on your toes and left you guessing about the killer after each chapter but that was pretty much the only good thing about this book. I despised the writing style and the authors obsession with over sexualising the descriptions of the female characters as if they were only added to the plot to be used as love interests or sexual interests of the male characters. There was also a LGBT character in the book and the way the author wrote descriptions of him and the names she wrote the other characters calling him was disgusting. You’re probably wondering why I finished this book if I hated as much as it sounds I do but I really wanted to see who the killer was and if I’d guessed right at the start of the book. It just managed to scrape a three out of five stars for the plot twist at the killers reveal. 

Next I read another Katie Fforde contemporary. I know who am I at this point. This one was called Summer Of Love and followed the story of single mum Sian who had just moved to quaint country village with her young son. It’s like she’s gotten everything she could want, a beautiful cottage with a picturesque garden, a beautiful son and a thriving business and no need or time for romance. That is until rough and tumble explorer Gus comes back into town, who catches Sian’s eye. But she’s not going to fall for Gus’ charms a second time after having briefly met him six years prior. This book was cute, it had a nice plot line that had you egging Sian and Gus to get together but there was nothing that truly stood out plot wise. I liked the setting, the quaint village giving me stone walls, climbing ivy and small thatched cottages vibes but again nothing truly stood out and wowed me. Again if you’re looking for a cute read that might help you out of a slump then I recommend this book. A solid three out of five from me. 


And the final book I completed this month was another Beverly Barton book. Close Enough To Kill is yet another crime thriller romance but following a different set of characters in a new town. The ladies of Adams County have for themselves a secret admirer, one who likes to woo and shower his chosen beloved with gifts and love letters. Yet once he’s got them in his grasp he kills them and sends Adams County into panic as a serial killer walks amongst them. I liked this book more than I liked Cold Hearted, the characters were better (still poorly written though), the plot more substantial and the crimes even more gruesome. However it still lacked something that authors such as Chris Carter and Karen Rose never fail to bring to each book. I’m glad I read both Cold Hearted and Close Enough To Kill as I can now say I’ve read them and if I choose to unhaul them later I know it’s because they just weren’t for me over being sacrificial lambs that I get rid of to make space for more books. 

And I did actually start two more books in April but just didn’t get round to finishing them. The first was Vanity Fair my chosen classic for the month. Vanity Fair tells the story of two young women who could not be more different, one is Becky Sharp; an orphan who’s willing to do anything to get to where she wants in life. The second is Amelia Sedley, a naive young thing who’s never understood Becky and her ambitious nature, due to being the only daughter in a well off family. When I ordered it I didn’t look at the page count and was surprised when it arrived to be a thicc queen, standing at over 800 pages. Yet I dove headfirst into it and whilst I didn’t get far and obviously didn’t finish it, I haven’t found it as boring as some of the other classics I’ve attempted to read this year. Maybe if I have time this month I’ll go back and try to read some more. 

And the second book I started reading but didn’t finish was The Murder Game by Beverly Barton. PI Griffin Powell and FBI agent Nicole Baxter know a thing or two about serial killers, they’ve managed to bring one down together. However one slipped the net and is back with a game even more sadistic than before. And it leave Griff playing for the biggest stakes of his life. What I read of this book I found interesting, it did have a sadistic twist to it right from the start but I didn’t manage to get that far into it to see just how gruesome the crimes and the case got. If I get time this month, it’s another book I’ll definitely go back and try to finish but I am attempting to read the entirety of the Middle Earth series in May as well as my chosen classic so we’ll have to see how it goes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment