Wednesday 4 March 2020

Most Anticipated 2020 Releases

Oh how I love when the wait for a book to be released is over. Especially if it's been a long wait. And 2020 is filled with releases that I've dying to get my hands on for the longest time. Now some of these may already be out in hardback form but I'm going by their paperback release dates because I never buy or read hardbacks unless they're a gift. I have fifteen books to talk about today but I'm sure there's tons I've missed so get ready for a rambling, reptitive post where I tell you I can't wait to read every single book.


By the time you read this post, the first book is already out. And that is The Queen's Assassin by Melissa De La Cruz. Released the 1st March, this is the first book in a new Young Adult Fantasy series from the writer of the Blue Bloods Series. This follows Caledon Holt the most deadly man in the Kingdom of Renovia. No one can match him in brains or brawn which is why he's the Queen's one and only assassin. It also follows Shadow who's dream it is to join the infamous Guild but in doing so means she has to control and hide the powers she possesses. Yet after a surprise attack brings the two together as they hunt down the threat to Renovia. But as they grow close, they discover a web of secrets and lies that could destroy everything, including true love. I never could get into the Blue Bloods series but this new novel from De La Cruz sounds intriguing and a complete step away from any of her previous works. It's definitely one that could feature in March's book haul.

The only hardback I'm going to talk about in this post is Chain Of Gold by Cassandra Clare. I have no intention of buying it in hardback but it's one of my most anticpated reads of the year and with no paperback release in sight yet, I just needed to give it an honourable mention. Released the 3rd March, this follows the children from the highly acclaimed Infernal Devices Trilogy. I haven't got a clue about what happens in this book purely because I have actively avoided spoilers and I haven't finished the Infernal Devices series. I started it last year but never finished it. With a cover this gorgeous and everyone raving about it, I think it's safe to say that I'm going to be reading the Infernal Devices from cover to cover at some point this year.

The next book is the finale of a series I haven't even started yet but have the first two in my possession. Supernova by Marissa Meyers is released on the 19th March. It's the third and final book in the Renegades Trilogy that follows two seperate groups of people. The Renegades and The Anarchists. And that's all I know. Books series I haven't started or I've been holdin off on reading, I tend not to read the synopsis for. I just let them sit in my collection until it's their time to be read. I have to be honest and say I've had the first two books since late last year but haven't read them as I've been waiting for Supernova to be release so I can binge all three at once. I did it with the Arc Of A Sycthe series and I'm so glad I did. I'm just hoping it doesn't build my hopes up like that series did just to shatter them in the last book.

Into April we go and the first book released comes April 6th. Queen Of Coin And Whisper by Helen Corcoran for now is a standalone YA Fantasy that follows teenage Queen Lia and Spymaster Xania. One wishes nothing more than to take down her corrupt uncle whilst the other wishes to avenge her murdered father. Together they have to learn to rely on each other as they face treasonous plots and hidden enemies. But how much are they willing to sacrifice for the kingdom and for each other. Featuring a girl/girl romance and a complex political system, this book sounds like it has the makings to be fantastic and a cracking opener to a series if there are plans to make it into one.

The only other book in April I'm interested in comes right at the end of the month. The 30th April sees the release of a book I need now, like right now. Good Girl, Bad Blood is the sequel to A Good Girl's Guide To Murder by Holly Jackson. The first book was one of my absolute favourites last year and when I found out it was getting a sequel I was excited. This follows Pip who's turned her one time role as a Detective into a highly successful true crime podcast. She claims her days of investigating are over until someone she knows disappears. The police won't do anything so it falls on Pip to find out what happened to her missing friend. But that means that more of the town's dark secrets are uncovered and the puts Pip right into the firing line. I am so ready to read this book. I loved the first book when I read it back in the Summer and if Jackson's writing style has matured from the first book, this one has the promise of blowing it out of the water.

The next release is almost like a cracking two for one deal. The first two books in Emily Duncan's Something Dark And Holy series are being released on May 1st. The first Wicked Saints follows a girl who can speak to gods, a prince who can't trust and a boy with a monstrous secret as they work together to assasinate the king and stop the centuries long war. Ruthless Gods, the second book in the series follows the trio as they fight their own personal demons which tear them apart. Yet as their group is continously torn apart, they're also fated to remain together. However it seems the girl, the prince and the monster are nothing more than chess pieces in a bigger game that refuses to stay quiet any longer. I intially didn't plan on reading this series but there's something about it that I'm intrigued by so I may just do a double whammy and buy both when they're released in early May.

     
May 12th sees both House Of Dragons and Girl, Serpent, Thorn released. House Of Dragons is one that has been on my radar for a while. Written by Jessica Cluess, this is the first in a new YA series that centers around five very different people from five very different backgrounds as they answer the call to compete in the Trial for the dragon throne. A liar, a solider, a servant, a thief and a murderer, these five outcasts will stop at nothing to win that place, breaking tradition and changing the future indefinitely. I only had to read what each outcast was to be intrigued by this book. Advertised as The Breakfast Club meets Three Dark Crowns, this book has the promise to be outstanding and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust intially caught my attention because of it's very asthetically appealing cover. Yet a quick skim of the synopsis put this book firmly on my radar. Literally I only had to read the words cursed princess and it was added to my list. Soraya has spent her whole life hidden away, safe in her own little world. That is until her brother's wedding where she must decide if she's willing to risk it all and step outside her safe haven. I love a good risk it all for the greater good trope and this book seems to have it and more. May is going to be a busy reading month for me, mark my words.

In June two books that have been on my radar for a while finally get released in paperback. The first is The Beautiful by Renee Ahdieh. This had so much hype when it was first released last year and I've been itching to read it ever since. This follows seventeen year old Celine as she arrives in New Orleans to start her new life after being forced to flee Paris and her life as a dressmaker. She quickly becomes enamored by the sights and lights of New Orleans, much to the annoyance of her saviours, the Ursuline Convent. This book was the one that promised to make vampires sexy again but apparently it's not got any vampires until the end of the book and that's a slight hint. Yet book two that's released in hardback this year promises vampires and I can't wait to dive back into that mystery world of the night walkers.

Sorcery Of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson is another book that had a lot of hype when it was first released and whilst that hype has died down, I'm still looking forward to finally getting my hands on it. Following Elisabeth has been raised to believe that demons are evil and as a that becoming a warden; someone who's entrusted to protect the kingdom from the demons, will help keep that believe. Yet when the library is sabotaged, all fingers are pointed at Elisabeth and she has to put her trust into Nathaniel, a sorcerer who's also her sworn enemy to prove she's innocent. World's that use books to hold evil powers are so intriguing to me. There's something so complex about the way the world's built and the political and magical systems/ I can easily get lost in this kind of world so I'm eagerly counting down the days until this released.

The 23rd July sees the final book in the Folk Of The Air series. Queen Of Nothing is the third and final book in this fae trilogy from Holly Black. If you haven't read any of the books in this series, it follows Jude who was kidnapped from the human world as a child and raised in the land of Fae, amongst the other Fae children. Yet they don't take nicely to having a human amongst them and the worst of them all is Prince Cardan. He's made it his life's ambition to ruin Jude's life and for the best part of the series, he succsededs. This is a brilliant series, I highly recommend checking it out, even if you aren't a fan of Fae books.

Until I read the full synopsis of this book I wasn't at all interested but now I can't wait for July 28th to get here. The Merciful Crow is the first in a new YA series that has the most interesting and complex world I think you could find in a YA book. Following a world where a Crow is the lowest of the low, this follows Fie who works as an undertaker, who takes more abuse than payment until she's called to collect a dead royal. Yet she gets more than she's bargained for when she finds a fugitive. A prince who's faked his death. From there she's enlisted to protect him from a whole host of enemies including a ruthless queen and a not so loyal bodyguard. I have to thank PeruseProject for bringing this to my attention as I'd have otherwise just judged it on it's cover and not bothered to look closer at it.

Skipping through August, September 3rd sees the paperback release of Serpent and Dove by Shelby Mahurin. This follows Louise who's fled her coven and taken shelter in the city of Cesarine. Yet women like Louise are hunted for she is a witch and witches are the most feared around. But she meets a witch hunter called Reid and by some unseen force they are bound together in unholy matrimony. This is a haters to lovers, forced marriage trope and I'm so ready to read all the sarcasm, the subtle digs and then all the feels. This book has recieved mixed reviews but I've never let that stop me from diving right on in.

I need October 20th to hurry it's ass up. The Hand On The Wall by Maureen Johnson is the third and final book in the Truly Devious series. And by god do I need this book already. I've eagerly read the second book in this series last month thinking that I wouldn't have long to wait until I could read the third book. The Truly Devious series follows a young girl called Stevie who's passion is true crime. She attends the prestigious Ellingham Academy where she's encouraged to follow her passion. And she focuses that passion of solving the infamous Truly Devious kidnap/murder case that happened in that very school back in 1936. Yet when fellow students start dying, Stevie has to focus on what's happening closer to home. This is an amazing series and whilst I'm sad to see it finish, I'm really looking forward to seeing how everything comes to a close.

And the final book I'm looking forward to being released in paper back is Starsight by Brandon Sanderson. This is the second book in the Skyward series, a series that follows a young girl called Spensa who wants nothing more than to be a pilot. Yet she's brandished a coward, a good for nothing because of her father's actions when he was a pilot. I brought Skyward back in January and as I write this, I've not actually read it yet but I've heard nothing but good things about this series so I'm looking forward to starting it and adding a little more science fiction to my reading taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment