Wednesday 15 January 2020

2019 Beauty Favourites: Make Up

Happy 2020! It's the start of a new year which can only mean one thing. It's time to look back and round up my favourite make up, skincare and non beauty favourites from 2019. To kick off the first of my 2019 Favourites post, I'm going to share with you my make up favourites from the last twelve months. As you may notice there are some catergories missing and that's purely because I didn't discover a new favourite and didn't want to bore you by repeating it with a product I've already shared with you.

Primer: Let's kick things off with primer. For the longest time I was a big fan of the Maybelline SuperStay Primer. It featured heavily in many a GRWM post and favourites posts but this year I replaced it with a new favourite and I haven't looked back since. The Too Faced HangoverX Primer was one I didn't initally think actually did anything for my skin but after a few uses over the horribly hot Summer we had and I was hooked. It not only hydrates skin, smooths and helps to reduce redness but it keeps make up locked in place for hours without the need for touch ups. I originally brought this as a small travel sized bottle but easily treated myself to a full size bottle when it ran out.

Foundation: Foundation again this year is one where I discovered a new holy grail product and now nothing will ever compete with it. My local Boots started stocking IT Cosmetics this year and when I saw it in there, I just had to try their CC Cream. It's been raved about in the beauty world for years and wearing it for the last six months has proven why. It's lightweight, it's long wearing, it's natural looking and it doesn't break down or fade even in the hottest of temperatures. I started off by again buying a travel sized tube which came in handy for Naomi's wedding in June but I was instantly bowled over by it and couldn't stop wearing it afterwards. I've only just opened my full sized tube because a little bit of this goes a long way, this bottle is sure to last me a good six months but I can gurantee that I'm going to be buying another full sized tube when it runs out. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend you do.

Powder: I didn't discover a new concealer favourite this year so I'm skipping over it and moving it on to powder. I've never really been a big fan of powder but towards the end of Summer I found I needed a little bit of powder to just keep my t-zone from fading quicker. Yet the powders I was using weren't doing anything for me. So I went shopping and discovered quickly that I have a thing for expensive make up and that I'm a sucker for Too Faced products. The Born This Way Powder is lightweight on the skin but sets make up in place and doesn't leave skin looking dry or cakey. I especially love applying this with a damp beauty blender as it just presses the powder in perfectly without disrupting any of the products underneath. And it helps to lock make up down all day. During the build up to Christmas I had a day of errands that left me red in the face and sweating buckets but my make up didn't show any of that, all I had was a slight natural glow and a flawless, semi matte finish. Sure my make up bag has gotten pricier this year but I've certainly learnt that you pay for what you get.


Brows: My brows at the moment are the bane of my existence. I haven't had them waxed in a while as I'm trying to grow them out but I can't stand the slightly sparse looking areas they have. Which is where one of my favourite budget friendly, high street beauty products comes in. The Barry M Brow Wow Pencil in Medium/Dark is a super soft brow pencil that glides seamlessly over the brows, depositing the right amount of product without making them too dark or dense looking. Sure you can easily go over the top with it but a soft hand and you'll have beautifully filled in and defined brows that last all day and don't smudge, not even in the rain.

Lashes: The only other budget friendly product I've loved this year has to be the Loreal Volume Million Lashes So Couture Mascara. It's rubber bristle, barrel shaped brush catches even the tiniest of lashes and gives them a volumised, defined looked without being clumpy or spidery. This is a mascara that can easily be layered and whilst it's not waterproof, it doesn't budge. I wore this to see Carrie Underwood live where I cried a lot and it did not budge. In fact none of my make up budged and most of it is what I'm sharing with you today.

Liquid Lipstick: For most of this year I could not for the life of me find a lipstick, liquid or standard formula that I loved to wear repeatedly or even feature in a favourites. That's until I had a treat yoself moment a couple of months back and brought my first Fenty Liquid Lipstick. In the shade Uncensored, this gorgeous deep blue toned red has not left my lips. Anytime I've worn lipstick, I've pretty much been wearing this. I wore it to the Harry Potter Studio Tour for my Birthday and to see Nightmare Before Christmas Live in December. It has one of the lightest, long wearing and somewhat comfortable formulas I've ever worn and I'm dying to get my hands on more shades. Maybe 2020 will see more shades sneak into my collection.

Setting Spray: And finally for setting spray, I discovered yet another Too Faced product that I absolutely adore. The Too Faced Hangover X Primer and Setting Spray became a steadfast favourite during the Summer when nothing would hold my make up in place and it's been love ever since. This not only locks my make up in place but also hydrates my skin and helps it to not look dry or cakey. Plus it smells divine and for a product that has a noticeable scent to it, I've never broken out or had a spot pop up after using this which says a lot for the way Too Faced have added the scent to this product. I highly recommend picking up a travel sized of this if you've been looking at getting this, it'll not only save you some cash but it'll also last you ages, giving you a chance to save up for a full sized bottle or to try out more products from Too Faced's extensive range.

No comments:

Post a Comment