Friday 10 July 2020

Recipe: Hazelnut Brownies



Brownies are something I spent a good portion of my time as a baker failing at. Until a couple of years ago I always ended up with a bread/cake hybrid that tasted delicious but were never my intention to make. Yet now I can make some of the most fudgy, delicious brownies I've ever tasted and I'm constantly on the lookout of what I can add to them to make them even more yummy. Today I'm sharing with you my recipe for Hazelnut Brownies which is possibly my favourite brownie recipe to date. They're fudgy, they're rich and they've got a delicious hint of Nutella alongside the crunch of the chopped hazelnuts.

Ingredients
- 200g Dark Chocolate
- 200g Unsalted Butter
- 275g Caster Sugar
- 90g Plain Flour
- 35g Cocoa Powder
- 100g Dark Chocolate Chips
- 150g Nutella
- 50g Chopped Roasted Hazelnuts
- 3 Eggs

Method 
1- Pre heat your oven to 180C. Line a 9 inch brownie tin with greaseproof paper.
2- In a bain marie melt your dark chocolate and unsalted butter. You can melt the two together in the microwave but it does tend to catch and burn more than when it's done over a bain marie. Once everything has melted together, place to one side and leave to cool.
3- Into a bowl place your sugar and eggs. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer, whisk until the mixture has doubled in size, has become pale in colour and has a mousse like texture. I really do advise using an electric mixer for this part as I did it by hand and it hurt a lot.
4- Hopefully by the time it's taken to mix your egg and sugar mixture together, your chocolate/butter mixture will have cooled and you can gently fold the two together. Now you have to fold them together otherwise you'll knock out all the air that you've just beat into the egg/sugar mix.
5- Now it's time to fold in your flour, chocolate chips and cocoa powder. Folding it all in together not only helps keep the air in your mix but also stops your chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom.
6- Then fold in your Nutella and chopped hazelnuts, scraping the edges and the bottom of the bowl so nothing is sat unmixed at the bottom. Now I just put the Nutella in at room temperature and let my spatula fold it evenly through the mixture but you could also soften or melt it slightly so that it folds in easier.
7- Pour into your prepared tin, using your spatula or wooden spoon to spread it out evenly in the tin and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Sometimes it may take just a few minutes more for them to bake but that's okay, everyone's ovens and mixtures will cook differently.
8- Once they're cooked, leave to cool and set in the tin before cutting and enjoying. These last for a good three days if kept in an air tight container and are some of the most delicious brownies I've ever tasted (if I say so myself), even more delicious than the Mini Egg Brownies I posted earlier this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment