Monday 4 March 2019

Recipe: American Style Pancakes

I've never been a big fan of pancakes and never really understood the hype of Shrove Tuesday. I think it's because here in the UK the pancakes are always really thin, plastic looking pancakes that never taste right no matter how much Nutella you douse them in. And online all I've been seeing lately is thick American style pancakes and it got me thinking that maybe they're the answer to my prayers. Now you may think that these are hard but they're actually surprisingly easy and don't take that long to prepare. So heat up that frying pan and get ready to make yourselves some delicious. fluffy pancakes that taste delicious with maple syrup, nutella or anything you want on top.

Ingredients
- 135g Plain Flour
- 1Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Caster Sugar
- 130ml Milk
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp Melted Butter
- Knob Of Butter or Butter Frying Spray

Method 
1- Pre heat your frying pan on a medium heat. I tend to get this started before I make the batter as my hob takes forever to heat up.
2- Into a bowl sift the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar. Lightly mix together with a fork.
3- In a seperate jug, lightly beat your egg. Add your milk and melted butter to the jug and mix together.
4- Pour your milk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix together with a fork. There will initally be lumps but they'll soon disappear as you batter comes together.
5- Add some butter to your now warmed pan. You can use normal butter or a lighter butter spray like I did. It's just to help cook the pancakes and stop them from sticking when you flip them.
6- When your butter has melted, add a ladle of batter to the pan. The pancakes may not be round and look rather thick but that's the exact look you want them to have.
7- Wait until the top of the pancake starts to bubble and then flip. It may seem tempting to flip them before they're ready but that'll just cause a mess in your frying pan and be a waste of batter. I did that with my first one and it sadly had to go in the bin.
8- Once your pancake is cooked through, place in a bowl and store in a low temperature oven to keep warm. Then repeat step 7 until you've used up all your batter, with each new pancake being added to the bowl.
9- Once you have all your pancakes, douse them in your topping of choice and enjoy. I actually made this for me, my mum and nan for breakfast the other day. We added a dollop of Nutella to them and they were absolutely delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment