Wednesday 4 September 2019

What I Read: August



Wow, August felt like it was never going to end. I started off the reading month really strong and had flown through four books by the middle of the month. And then I took a few days off to wait for my copy of The Wicked King to arrive and then I lost my reading mojo. I really wanted to complete The Wicked King by the end of August but for some reason I had no desire to binge read it like I had done with the other books I've read this month. 
  
The first book I read in August was A Study In Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro. This is a modern reimagination of Holmes and Watson with a genderbent Holmes. The first of four books follows Holmes and Watson as they meet and team up to solve the mystery of multiple deaths and attacks on their school campus. I flew through this book and am eager to pick up the next in the series. This doesn't just give you a new perspective on Holmes and Watson but it also deals with a lot of very real life problems that people suffer with day to day. However it doesn't make this a heavy read and there is in fact a lot of lighthearted moments that also represent the younger generations of this day and age. This is extremely hard to get ahold of in the UK so if you want to read this, check out Amazon, they have the entire series. I already have the next book in my Amazon basket. 

                                           
The next book I read in August was City Of Ashes by Cassandra Clare. This is the second book in the Mortal Instruments Series and follows Clary Fray as she continues her journey in the Shadowhunter world. Following on from City Of Bones, City Of Ashes follows as Clary, Alec, Jace and Izzy as they work to keep the remaining Mortal Instruments out of Valentine's hands. Clary also has to deal with the bomb Valentine dropped on her in the first book whilst waiting for her mum to come out of her self induced magical coma. Throw in some general teenage angst and you have me hooked. There is literally no other way to talk about this book without spoiling both books and ruining the series for anyone who hasn't read it. This I binged as part of my Mortal Instruments reread but I'm currently putting off picking up City Of Glass as I know the hurt that it's going to bring me. If you haven't read the Mortal Insturments Series, I highly recommend checking it out as well as it's movie adaptation which whilst trashy has the most perfectly cast cast ever. 
  
The penultimate book I read in August was The Cruel Prince By Holly Black. I have had this in my TBR pile since the beginning of the year but was holding out until this month to read it so I didn't forget too much for when The Wicked King comes out. The Cruel Prince follows Jude Duarte and her twin sister Taryn who were stolen from the mortal world by high powered fey called Madoc when they were children. Having grown up in Fey, it's very obvious they don't fit in and when Jude catches the attention of Prince Cardon, things get very messy very quickly. I always believed the Cassandra Clare was the best when it came to writing the world of Fey but Holly Black just takes it to another level. The amount of detail she provides makes it so easy to picture this picturesque yet somewhat horrific land to live in. I enjoyed this book and did eagerly pick up The Wicked King but some of the characters just fell flat for me. I understand Jude's desire to stand up for herself and make herself know in a world where she's been downtrodden most of her life but whilst she's written well and is a very complex character, she doesn't leave you rooting for her to be the victor. 
 
 
And the last book I read in August was one I didn't actually plan on reading but needed something to bridge the gap between finishing The Cruel Prince and starting The Wicked King. And after seeing so many BookTubers reading the illustrated versions, I was once again inspired to continue my reread of the Harry Potter series. The Prisoner of Azkaban is one of my favourite books and movies of the series but as I reread this, I did notice the differences between the two. And yet I still managed to picture the movie in my head as this played out. This took me next to no time to read and I'm looking forward to picking up The Goblet Of Fire when I get through the rest of my gigantic TBR pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment