Friday 19 June 2015

Disappointing Products #1

When it comes to beauty and skincare I'm always willing to try new products, whether it's a new release or has recieved mad raves. And 99% of the time I'm pleased with what I try but there is that tiny 1% of me that is let down by certain products. Today I'm going to talk you through a few products that I've tried recently that I wish I hadn't spent on. 



Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water
This is just one of many micellar waters that I’ve tried that just don’t agree with my skin. Like most of the others I’ve tried this was great at removing any make up or general grime from my face. However after a couple of uses it made my skin break out, prompting me to put it away. I have sensitive skin and what disappointed me was that this claimed to be gentle enough for sensitive skin so I expected it to work. Alas it didn’t but now makes a great alternative brush cleaner if I run out of my usual one.



Witch Overnight Clearing Serum

This product is seriously disappointing. Not only did it not help with any break out or blemishes I had but it’s actually made my skin worse. I brought this product hoping it would help clear up a couple of breakouts I have and as I have always like the Witch Hazel Range I had high hopes. And yet again this was another product that I was highly disappointed in. When I applied this to my skin it left my skin tacky whereas other products had sunk in and the usual sting you get from breakout clearing products going over an open blemish was missing. The morning after I used this I didn’t see any changes to my blemishes but did notice it had dried out and left a slight texture to my skin. It’s advertised as being suitable for sensitive skin but if you have sensitive skin I recommend you stay away from this.




Rimmel Lasting Finish Concealer

When Rimmel released this product I was excited, it looked like it could be a brilliant dupe for one of Bobbi Brown’s concealers. However after the first use I found myself cursing the product. Unlike other pot concealers I’ve tried this one was hard both in texture and workability. Once I managed to get some out of the pot I found it very hard to apply and blend out and once it was blended it had a tendency to ball and crease under my eye. The coverage it gave was more sheer to medium than full coverage. I’m not a big high end make up girl but think I’m willing to pay a bit more for a concealer like this if it means it’s going to work.



Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara

This is probably the product I’m most disappointed in and I know that I’m probably the only person who dislikes it. The very first time I tried this I was really impressed and preferred it over the Benefit Roller Lash, however it seemed to be just a one trick pony. On the first use it was lengthening and volumising like the advert claimed but ever since it’s done nothing but clump my lashes and smear everywhere. The formula of the mascara itself is disappointing as well, whereas most of my mascaras have gotten drier over time this one just seems to get wetter everytime I it again. I only have to open my eye and it smears all over my eyelids.



Kiko Matte Lipstick
When Kiko first came to my town I was really excited, having heard lots about the brand beforehand. When the shop opened, I was in there straight away, heading straight towards their lipstick selection. I found myself disappointed with them firstly, only a tiny collection of mattes but tons of glosses. However I found a matte shade I loved and I’m not mentioning it here for the shade. The shade is right up my street, think along the lines of Revlon’s Sultry but the formula of this product really let it down. When I applied this to my lips it slid on more like a gloss than a matte and when I went to go over to create a nice opaque coat it actually wiped any existing product off. I continued though and once my lips were completely covered I found that it didn’t sit on the lips like a matte lipstick either. Usually they’re slightly drier on the lips but this felt almost balmy and when I pressed my lips together it left a line where it had touched and hadn’t touched. Beautiful packaging, beautiful shade but unfortunately the formula really let this one down.



MUA Luxe Whipped Velvet Lip Cream
This is another matte lip product that I wish I hadn’t brought. Yet again the shade appealed to me what with summer coming up and all. However it was another product where the formula let it down. I knew it wouldn’t dry matte on the back of my hand when I swatched it but I was really impressed by the colour pay off and purchased it instantly. This is where I wish I’d left it on the shelf. When I went to apply it to my lips, the brilliant colour pay off I saw when I swatched it was nowhere to be seen. It came out almost watery and left a sheer covering on my lips, a far cry from the thick opaque product in the tester. I’ve tried several times with it and every time I see the same results. I think I’ll be sticking to my Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvets.



Aussie Miracle Dry Shampoo Mega Instant
I’m a big fan of Batiste but not always a big fan of the white cast it can sometimes leave in my hair. So when I saw that Aussie’s Dry Shampoo was reduced I decided to give it a go. When I sprayed it into the lid to smell it (I have a thing about smells), I was happy to see that there was no white cast in the lid. So when it came to dry shampooing my hair one day I put aside my Batiste and my CoLab and tried it out. Never again will I do that. Sure it left no white cast and smelt alright but it left my hair sticky, nastier than it already was and some parts of my hair actually stuck together afterwards. I like Aussie as I know many people do but their dry shampoo is one product in their range I highly recommend you avoid. If you’re looking for a good dry shampoo that doesn’t leave a white cast try CoLab. It has a brilliant range of scents and leaves hair feeling refreshed and not sticky.


So those were my disappointing products. What are some of yours? Or have you tried any of these and disagree? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment