Wednesday 30 January 2019

Monthly Favourites: January

Oh hi there, anyone remember me? I need to start this post by apologising for my absence. I had a insane week last week where I completely lost track of the days and then spent the end of the week and the weekend suffering from some sort of stomach bug. All is well now though and today I'm back (a bit later than planned) with my Monthly Favourites. I was going to try and change the format of these posts this year and only share five favourites each month but this month I have an absolute ton I want to talk about and I couldn't bring myself to cutting it down to just five.

I haven't been wearing a lot of make up this month and have been more focused on adapting and curating my skincare routine. Some things I've stopped using completely whilst others I've replaced with other products and some like my first favourite have been a welcome addition. The REN Ready Steady Glow AHA Tonic has become my new daily AM toner and has compeletely changed how my skin looks and feels. With a AHA based formula consisting highly of Lactic Acid, this works to resurface, retexturise and brighten skin. Ever since I started using this my skin has felt softer, looked smoother and looked a lot brighter and more revitalised as ever. I don't understand why it's taken me so long to try this but I know for a fact that this is going to be a highly repurchased product in the future.

I am so fussy when it comes to eye creams and I'm always on the look out for one that'll work better than the last. I'd like to say that I've found 'the one' but I'm also trying another eye serum at the moment. However for the majority of the month I've been using and loving the Balance Me Wonder Eye Cream. Usually a product calling itself 'Wonder' makes me wary as they usually turn out to be disastarous but this eye cream happily lives up to it's name. My under eye area has never looked as good before and I believe it's all to do with this cream. It's lightweight, hydrating and helps to reduce the appearence of my dark circles. Again this is another product that's been added to my repurchases list.

The last beauty favourite I've got this month is something I was extremely wary of using but now can't get enough of. The Revolution 30% AHA-BHA Peeling Solution is a high AHA based mask. It looks and is advertised exactly the same as The Ordinary's 30% AHA-BHA Mask but I haven't tried that so I can't compare. What I can say is that this may seem hella intimidating but in fact is what my skin has been crying out for. Not for those with extremely sensitive/reactive skin, this intense exfoliator works to resurface, retexturise and brighten the complexion. And oh boy does it do that. After I use this my face feels as soft as a baby's butt. Like I can't stop stroking my face after I use this and it's effectiveness really shows when I apply make up afterwards. My foundation/concealer doesn't stick to any rough or dry patches. It just glides on and blends nicely into my skin. I highly recommend trying it out, I even managed to persuade Jasmin to buy a bottle.

January has been a month full of sleeping issues. There has been many a night where I've found it hard to drift off, to shut my brain off whilst other nights I wake a good two or three times and find it hard to get back to sleep. Which is where my next favourite comes in. The This Works Deep Sleep Pillow Spray has been a godsend to me. Lavender based, this gentle mist works to help relax and soothe senses, lulling you easily into the land of nod. I've used this so many times when I've found it hard to sleep or hard to get back to sleep that I've actually had to purchase a full size bottle so I don't run out.

And to go alongside the Deep Sleep Pillow Spray is the This Works Stress Check Breathe In. I need to buy a full size one of these I've used it so much. A lot of my trouble sleeping is because I have a tendency to overthink everything which leads to me getting worked up and anxious about something that hasn't happened or won't even happen at all. A little bit of this on my pulse points or anywhere on my skin that'll get warm and I'm instantly at ease. Sure the things I've been overthinking still niggle at the back of my head but they pushed far back enough that I can relax and eventually drift off to sleep.

Paperchase this month released singlehandly the best mug I'll ever own. Yes those are boobs of all shapes and sizes adorning my morning tea cup. I absolutely adore this mug and as soon as I saw it I knew I had to get it. I've not stopped drinking from it and it's even managed to raise a few eyebrows in the family. It's cheeky yet unoffensive and possibly the best nine quid I've ever spent.

Back in December I brought what has become my all time favourite sweatshirt of all time. This Nightmare Before Christmas sweatshirt cost me a bit more than I admittedly like to spend on sweatshirts but has been worth every penny. I brought this in a 2XL so I it's extremely oversized and cosy and I can't stop wearing it. No matter where I go, I have to wear this. It even manged to get me a compliment off a cute guy from HMV.

Another sweatshirt/jumper I've lived in this month is this super soft, super cosy pj sweatshirt from Primark. It's extremely hard to put into words just how soft this is. It's perfect for cosying up when it's cold with a cuppa in my boob mug and watching a film or reading a book (another obsession of mine). I again got this in a 2XL as I wanted it to be super oversized and it doesn't disappoint. I've even gone and brought it in blue I love it that much.

January was a good TV month for me. I started the month watching the amazing series called Killing Eve. I'd seen it advertised when it first aired but didn't really care for watching it. However I got a clip of it online and just had to watch it. I marathoned all eight episodes in three days and am eager for the next season to be released. Sandra Oh was amazing as Eve but it was Jodie Comer as Villanelle that really blew me away. The multiple layers she had as a character partnered with the physcotic manner in which she worked made me love her more than a villian should. If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend it. All eight episodes are currently available on iPlayer, trust me you won't be disappointed.

If you live in the UK and are an avid watcher of the BBC, you'll know that every January is Silent Witness month. It's singlehandly one of my favourite crime shows on TV and this series has to have some of it's best episodes to date. With a star packed cast, present and realistic storylines and a good deal of humour to lighten the tone, this show is a firm favourite in my house and anyone who watches it will understand why. Some of the stand out moments this year for me has been seeing Clarissa out in the field more, Nikki and Matt's relationship and just Jack in general. He's a total babe and these last two episodes that have aired have been very Jack heavy and I can't complain about that.

And my last favourite is one whose return I've been waiting for, for what seems like forever. STRIKE BACK IS BACK! Can you tell I'm happy about that. Only the season opener has aired so far but I'm already hooked again and dying for the next nine episodes. Alin Sumarwata, Dan Macpherson and Warren Brown are all back in their much loved roles but this time they are joined by newcomers Jamie Bamber, Yasemin Kay Allen and Varada Sethu. I can't wait to see how they interact with the three musketeers and where this season takes them. Only one episode in and we're seeing a darker, grittier side to the team that could lead to some interesting sub plots later in the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment