Tuesday 18 September 2018

How I Change My Skincare To Meet The Changing Weather

 
September is well under way and with it comes a change in the weather which ultimately affects the way your skin both looks and feels. I for one definitely feel a difference in my skin when the temperature drops and the wind picks up. Which brings me to the topic of today's post, today I'm going to be talking you through the small changes I make to my skincare routine to beat the tight, dry feeling that the cooler weather of Autumn/Winter brings.

Richer, Thicker Cleansers 
During the warmer months I put away my richer, thicker cleansers, opting for more lightweight gel consistency cleansers instead. However as the weather starts to cool down I find that richer cleansers that are thicker in consistency work better in conjunction with my skin. Balm style cleansers are usually the best type for nourishing skin and alleviating any tightness or dryness the changing conditions can cause skin to feel. I prefer to use them a second cleanse rather than a first cleanse as they're more likely to work better when used on clean skin. Emma Hardie's Moringa Cleansing Balm is my all time favourite balm cleanser to use during the cooler months. It's nourishing, hydrating and soothing but doesn't leave skin feeling or looking greasy afterwards. A couple more budget friendly cleansing balms I enjoy are the Botanics Rosehip Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm and the Sanctuary Spa Warming Cleansing Butter. Both are very similar in texture and both work to clean and nourish skin whilst leaving behind a healthy lit from within glow.

Facial Oils
I love a good facial oil anytime of the year but during the colder months, facial oils; including cleansing oils, are my best friend. Essentially they work in the same manner as a rich moisturiser but oils sink deeper into the skin and work with the skin over a longer period of time. There isn't one oil that is going to work for every and all skin types, it's very much personal choice when it comes to buying/using a facial oil. You want an oil that will nourish skin that needs a little of TLC but doesn't leave skin looking greasy or cause your skin to create excess oil. My personal favourite comes from Palmer's and I know that Palmer's aren't known for their facial products but this Skin Therapy Facial Oil is a overlooked wonder product that does nothing but marvellous things for my skin. Yet as I said, it's all down to personal preference and buying the perfect product to match what your skin needs.

Richer, Thicker Moisturisers 
Now I know facial oils aren't for everyone, some of you are wary of trying them, some of you don't get on with them and that's where richer moisturisers come into play. During the warmer months I tend to use a lot of thin, gel consistency serums and moisturisers but during the colder months, I do like to alternate them with thicker, richer moisturisers. I do tend to reach for them more in the evening time and I'd advise you to do the same as it'll allow skin to stay hydrated even though you'll be surronded by the likes of central heating, wind, rain and cooler temperatures. A lot of brands sell their moisturisers either advertised for different skin types or do a variation of their moisturiser that is richer in formula and thicker in texture. Some of my favourites include the Simply Pure Hydrating Night Serum, the Simply Pure Rich Emulsion and the Liz Earle SuperSkin Moisturiser with Neroli.

Soothing Ingredients To Alleviate Dryness, Tightness And Redness 
Skin goes through a lot on a day to day basis but during the cooler months skin goes through even more. Temperature changes, rain, wind and central heating all can cause skin to become dry, tight and sensitive, which a lot of your exsisting products won't help with. So reaching for products that contain ingredients that are both nourishing and soothing is essential. Rosehip, Camomile and Aloe Vera are three of the more popular ingredients found in soothing products. Facial Spritzs, toners and moisturisers are the three best ways at including these ingredients into your skincare routine. I personally love the Liz Earle Instant Boost Skin Tonic throughout the colder months as there is something I just can't put my finger on in it that really works to soothe my skin as well as reducing the appearence of any redness I may have.

Try An Essence
Essences are one of the most underrated products in any skincare range. Yet they can work wonders for the skin, especially during Autumn/Winter. Designed to be used after toning and before a serum/moisturiser, a essence is a hydrating product that penetrates skin deeper than a moisturiser and hydrates skin for a longer period of time. They're always extremely lightweight which makes them perfect for layering under moisturisers or make up and make the perfect addition to any skincare routine. The B Essence Lotion is my personal favourite but brands such as Rodial, E.L.F., Kiehls and Nuxe do similar products that would fit right into your skincare routine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment