Thursday 27 September 2018

What I Read: September

The end of September is nigh and that can only mean one thing. It's time to share with you the books I read or as of lately, the books I'm still reading. I feel like every month I have a really stupid excuse for not reading as many books as I have previously but this month has been rather a rough one and books were the last thing on my mind. However with October, Halloween and dark nights cosied up with blankets and a cuppa fast approaching, I'm looking forward to finishing these two books and finding my next literay love.

 The Alienist- Caleb Carr
I initally picked this book up to fill a gap in an offer I was shopping but when I actually paid attention to the front cover, I realised it was the original novelisation of the Netflix series The Alienist. It's a show that's been on my list to watch for a while but I've just not got round to it. And now I won't be watching it until I finish the book. It follows the work of Moore, Kreizler and Howard, the Alienist works through a murder case of peculiarities all set to the back drop of ninetinth century New York. I like this book, I've managed to read a good chunk of it already but because of the century it's set in, sentences continuously run on, chapters are rather long and if I'm not in the right mood it can be very long winded and hard to concentrate on. It is though very good for using as a distraction when sitting in a hospital waiting room, something I found extremely helpful this month. I'll definitely aim to finish this by the end of October as I'm really intrigued now to watch the series and see how the two differ.

Guess Who- Chris McGeorge
The other book I started and have yet to finish this month is Guess Who by Chris McGregor. Again I picked this up to fill an offer but found it a great read for the times when I wasn't feeling The Alienist. Guess Who starts with a memory of a child's first experience of death which then turns out to be a memory of one of many trapped people in a hotel room. None of them know each other but it turns out they all knew the man who happens to be laying dead in the bathtub. It's a great game of cat and mouse from there on out, with their mysterious and deadly captor giving them a maximum of three hours to work out which one of them killed the man in the bathtub. I really like this, it's a bit gruesome, it's a bit thrilling, it's a page turner but it does get slightly confusing with some many changes of point of view. I think I'll more than likely finish this before I finish The Alienist purely because the chapters are a lot shorter and you can easily read a good five without even realising.

No comments:

Post a Comment