Saturday 2 February 2019

Haul: Books, Books, Books

At the beginning of the year I made a promise to myself that I would start reading a little everyday which would hopefully help me read more. Yet as I looked through my book collection, there weren't many that were jumping out at me. So over the last few weeks, I may or may not (see former) brought a few new books to add to my collection to help me continue on this reading kick I've been on.

Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince- J.K. Rowling
I've read The Half Blood Prince as a child but this year I want to reread the entire Harry Potter series and as I was digging them out, I sadly discovered I didn't own The Half-Blood Prince. Thank god for Amazon, where a lot of these came from, for helping a girl out. Now I have the entire collection and I can continue on with my reread.

Gallery Of The Dead- Chris Carter 
Last year I accidentally discovered Chris Carter. I picked up his novel The Caller cheap in a supermarket and was instantly hooked when I started reading it. It was one of my favourite reads of 2018 so when I saw he had a new one out, I just had to get it. I don't really know much about the plot apart from the fact it follows a series of gruesome crimes that one Detective Robert Hunter has to solve. I read a chapter of this on iBooks and knew instantly that this was going to be a hit without needing to read the synopsis or any more chapters.

The Night Circus- Erin Morgenstern 
The Night Circus is a book I've been saying I'm going to read/buy for the last couple of years but never gotten round to. Well this year that changed and now it's sitting happily in my TBR pile, waiting for me to finally get round to it. I don't know what it is about The Night Circus that drew my attention but from reading the synopsis, the mystery, intrigue and romantic aspects definitely have me intrigued. I am kind of saving this one, what for I don't know but I do know I keep putting to the bottom of the pile for some bizarre reason.

The Cruel Prince- Holly Black 
When I was looking for new books to read, I watched a lot of Booktubers and quite a few of the ones I've brought are because I've seen them spoken about by a lot of the Booktubers I've watched. The Cruel Prince is one of the most talked about books from the last year so I felt like I just had to get it to see what the hype was all about. Featured around sisters who were stolen from the mortal world and made to live in the Fey world, The Cruel Prince follows the journey of one sisters' dream to win a place in the High Court of Faerie. From the reviews I've read and watched, this book will simultaneously have me hooked whilst giving me all the feels. Holly Black has also just released the sequel, The Wicked King but I'm going to wait until it's released in paperback before I buy as I much prefer paperbacks over hardbacks.

Caraval- Stephanie Garber
Caraval is another I heard a lot about when I was looking for new books and from reading an excert, I think could be a winner for me. Featured around two sisters who dream of nothing more than escaping their father and seeing the once a year Caraval performance. They are finally granted their wish as an invitation falls into their hands but once they arrive, the sisters are split up and the true nature of Caraval evolves. I'm hooked just from the synopsis of this book and am very tempted to put this to the top of my February TBR pile.

The Thousandth Floor- Katharine McGee
Another book I read an excert of and just knew I needed in my collection is The Thousandth Floor. Set in the future, The Thousandth Floor is set around a thousand story tower and it's many occupants from the ridiculously rich to the barely scraping by poor. Featuring five teenagers with intertwining plots, this book gives off major Gossip Girl vibes and is the first of a trilogy that I'm aiming to finish this year.

The Hazel Wood- Melissa Albert
The Hazel Wood is one I've heard mixed reviews on, some loved it whilst some found it boring and lacking. I again have read a preview and liked what I read so decided to give the whole book a go. Centred around Alice a seventeen year old girl who's spent most of her life moving to city to city with a dark cloud hanging over her and her mom's head. When she finally thinks her bad luck has gone, her reclusive yet famour grandmother dies leaving behind her estate The Hazel Wood. And when Alice's mom is stolen, Alice has to enter The Hazel Wood to learn of the fictional world her grandmother created and what may lay in wait for her there. I'm looking forward to reading both this and it's sequel when it's released, keeping my mind up open even though I've seen many a mixed review.

This Lie Will Kill You- Chelase Pitcher 
One of the eighty three books I'd like to read this year is One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus so when I saw this advertised as one for fans of One Of Us Is Lying, I knew I just had to pick it up. This Lie Will Kill You centres around five teens who played a part in the death of one of their fellow partygoers. One year later, they're invited to an isolated mansion to compete a competition with a $50,000 prize. Advertised as Clue meets Riverdale, the premise of this book had me hooked as soon as I read it. Again this could potentially be one of my February reads if I stop scrolling aimlessly through Twitter.

The Puppet Show- M.W. Craven 
And last but not least is the latest book to my collection. The Puppet Show is a crime/thriller that sees disgraced detective Washington Poe brought back from suspension to help solve the case of serial killer burning people alive. I love a good crime novel and whilst this isn' the normal style I go for, it has a lot of potential and could be extremely good if the author's put enough thought into it. If I do finish it then this and all the others will all be featured in a What I Read post throughout the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment