Thursday 30 March 2017

Let's Talk Nude Lips For Pale Skintones

If you've been reading this blog for a while you'll know I'm an avid fan of a bold lip whether it be a red, a burgundy or a plum. And for the longest while I stuck with these shades as I didn't think that I could pull off a nude lip. Then last year I dipped my toe into nude lips and this year dived headlong into loving nude lips. And now nude lips are something I wear even more than my bold lips, and that's saying something considering I'm of the fairer skintone.

Let's start by saying I have very dark hair and a very light/pale complexion so automatically ruled nude lip products out as I believed it would look like wearing concealer on my lips. Everyone else seemed able to rock them but they just didn't seem to be for me. That's until I found that specific nude tone that worked well with my skin and from then on I found myself looking out for these particular tones and my collection of nude lip products grew.

If like me you don't know where to start when it comes to looking for a nude lip that works for you it's all about patience and trial and error. Don't be scared to swatch products even if you think they won't suit you. Some lip products look different in tone or colour in the bullet/tube but will look different on the back of your hand. It doesn't mean they're going to look the same on the lips but due to hygiene reasons it's not wise to test products on your lips. However you can hold your hand up to your lips to see if it would suit you or even hold the bullet in front of your lips to see if it would suit you. Now if you have blonde or light coloured hair then light brown tones will probably suit you better than the darker toned shades but if you have dark hair than the darker shades will suit you better.

 For example Maybelline's Creamy Matte Lipstick in Smoky Peach (top) would be better suited to people with lighter/blonde hair as it's lighter tan like tones brighten the complexion whereas Brown Sugar (bottom) is more suited towards ladies with darker hair. It's undertones compliment darker hair colours more than it would lighter hair colours. Now darker hair colours can pull of Smoky Peach but it's a lot harder and has to be with the right make up and outfit.

A nude shade that suits both light hair tones and dark hair tones comes from GOSH. Their matte lipstick in the shade Rose. It's mauve tone means that it doesn't look lighter on one than it does the other. It's very neutral and can not only be worn by paler skintones but can be pulled off by any skintone. This is such an easy colour to wear, you don't really have to worry about having to match the rest of your make up or outfit as it will suit a multitude of looks.

Another two shades that can be worn by everyone of a paler complexion are these two from Stila. These dry darker on the lips than they look in the tube so don't think you can't pull either of these shades off. Patina (left) is a deeper pink shade that could either be played up as a bolder nude lip or a neutral lip depending on your make up, outfit and hair colour. Serenata on the other hand is a more interesting shade for darker haired ladies, it's got a greige undertone that shouldn't work but for some reason does. And on blondes it would look like your standard nude shade but can be brightened or tweaked with a bit of lip liner if that colour isn't really for you.

If you wear nude lips already but want to add a twist as the weather warms up then this Milani Matte Lip Cream is perfect for you. This is the shade Adored and is a peachy pink colour that paired with very laidback make up stands out and distracts from everything else. It can be worn by every paler complexioned lady as it's undertones play differently with different hair colours. This comes off very peach in tone when I wear it and even though a peach shade shouldn't suit me this one suprisingly does. Harder to get but if you can get your hands on it, it's well worth it.

And finally we have not only my favourite range of nude lipsticks but one of the best selections on the high street. Rosie For Autograph is a collaboration between Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and Marks and Spencers. And the lipsticks in her make up line are mostly neutral which is perfect for every nude lip lover out there. I have four neutral shades which I absolutely adore and that suit everyone no matter what make up you're pairing it with or outfit. From left to right you have Silk Cami, Silk Rose, Lady Rose and Camisole Blush. As you can see three of the four shades are very similar in tone and are the ones I find I can wear the most with my colouring. They all have that mauve undertone that suits my fair skin/dark hair combination whereas Camisole Blush doesn't suit that well but when worked with another lip product or lip liner can work. However if you can't pull off shades such as Lady Rose then you'd be able to pull off Camisole Blush and others in the range that have the same undertone.

So that's a few lipstick recommendations I have for you all. Before this post gets any longer than it already is I'm going to go back over some tips to help you pick out the perfect nude lip to suit you:
1- Swatching is key. Lipsticks always look different when swatched.
2- Whilst you can't test it on your lips, hold testers up to your lips. It'll still give you an idea of if the colour will suit you.
3- Darker shades look less obvious on ladies who have darker hair colours and can be more flattering than the more concealer looking shades.
4- Likewise blondes can get away with light looking shades as their hair colour lifts their complexion whilst they wear them.
5- If you find one you like but it doesn't quite suit you don't be afraid to mix it with another nude lip product or lip liner. Plus any shades you create are unique and people will be dying to know where it comes from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment