Thursday 20 July 2017

Declutter: Make Up

Back in June I started redoing my bedroom, moving furniture, purchasing new pieces and purging through god knows how many things I didn't need or want anymore. And the one I've been holding on to for longer than others is my make up and skincare. But alas it can not stay and I thought that I'd give you look at what I'm going to be getting rid of either because I don't want it anymore or because it's run out or gone out of date.

I thought I'd be throwing away more primers than this as I've been on a bit of a primer journey but there are only three. The first I'm getting rid of is the Miss Sporty Insta Glow Primer. This is horrendous. A pale peach shade this doesn't prime skin, allow foundation to apply nicely over top and contains glitter particles that cling and highlight the wrong areas of the face. The next is the PUR Correcting Primer. This was actually an okay primer but it's too silicone based for my skin type and didn't allow any base product to sit nicely over top. And the last primer I'm throwing away is the Maxfactor Facefinity Primer. It's a nice primer but it's been in my collection way to long and needs to be thrown away.

For foundation/base products I have a lot to dispose of. A lot of them are BB Creams because they are the one base product I buy with high hopes and always end up bitterly disappointed. All the BB Creams you see are going because they don't match me. Either they come out of the tube darker than expected or they come out the same shade as my skin but oxidise horribly on my skin after a while. The B BB Cream is one of the better ones but it still doesn't look good after a few hours. The Loreal Nude Eau De Teint is a stunning lightweight foundation but is now too dark for me as I've stopped sunbathing a few years ago and am embracing the pale. The Maybelline Better Skin used to match my skin beautifully but it's been in my collection for a few years now and is now too pink toned for my yellow undertone skin. The Maxfactor Facefinity Foundation is just really old now and is too gross to put anywhere near my face. It's a lovely foundation and perfect for those who enjoy a light to medium coverage. And the same stands for the Bourjois CC Cream. I love this stuff and how it leaves my skin looking but it's been open way too long and I don't think it's sanitary to put anywhere near my face.

I don't do colour correcting so having these four MUA Pro Base Colour Correcting Creams sat gathering dust in my collection is a waste. I have literally only swatched these on the back of my hand and then put them in a draw and forgotten about them. Don't worry though, these aren't going in the bin, I'm going to offer them to my friends and family first to see if anyone wants them. And then I'm ridding myself of the Barry M Light Reflecting Concealer. I've had this for too long and it doesn't look very good in the tube. It's lightweight, light reflecting and doesn't contain a ton of glitter so I'm sad to see this go but for hygiene reasons I think it' best.

Powder time and there are just a few I'm getting rid of. Ones such as the MUA Pro Base Powder, Collection Sheer Loose Powder and the Boujois Healthy Balance are going because they've been sitting in my collection for far too long. The MUA Pressed Powder and the Maybelline Matte Maker are not horrendous powders but on my fairer skin it can oxidise on my skin. The Healthy Balance is a good powder but does have a tendency to shatter if dropped and when it gets to the end of it's life it can break easily which is why I'm throwing it away now before it ends up all over my carpet.

I did a cull of my setting sprays a little while ago but missed this one from MUA. It's nice but it doesn't wow me, unlike the Maybelline SuperStay Setting Spray or the Collection Fixing Mist. It has a lightweight spray that doesn't mess up make up or leave those horrid white dots everywhere like some setting sprays can. It's budget friendly as well but that said there are still better ones on the market that don't cost much more.

Before I started getting my eyebrows tinted I used to fill them in and one of my favourite products was the Sleek Eyebrow Pencil. Now though I don't need it and had actually forgotten that this was sitting in the bottom of my collection. The spoolie on the end is gross to look at and whilst there is still some pencil left I think it's been too long for me to finish it off without it being gross and highly unsanitary.

Mascara is something I have a tendency to hoard. For example I have about five on the go right now and will probably end up buying another one when I'm shopping this weekend. However there are six I will be saying goodbye because their either disappointing or they've dried up and need replacing. The Loreal Miss Manga Punky, Revlon Volume+Length and the Rimmel Scandaleyes Xtreme are going because they are just awful. The brushes leave a lot to be desired and the formula's aren't much better. The Barry M Showgirl Volume, Loreal Volume Million Lashes Feline and Rimmel Wonder'Full are brilliant and definitely on my repurchase list. They all have excellent brushes and their formula's whilst aren't the best of the best, they are some of the better ones on the market. They've all unfortunately dried up but I managed to get a really good amount of use out of each of them, something which is surprising considering how many mascaras I can have on the go at once.

Out of everything in this declutter there are only a few products I'd happily repurchase or even think about repurchasing. Out of the bases I'd happily repurchase the Bourjois CC Cream and the Maxfactor Facefinity, both have good coverage and give a skin like finish whilst still covering where it needs to. If they still sold the Loreal Eau De Teint I'd probably repurchase it but in a lighter shade as it's coverage and feel were amazing on the skin. Apart from that I'd probably only repurchase the three mascaras that I used to the point of drying out. All three do amazing things to my lashes and when they were usuable I found myself reaching for them constantly. Apart from those particular products I don't think I'd buy any of the others again. They didn't work for me but that doesn't mean that they won't work for you though, make up is always about personal preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment