Sunday 23 July 2017

Summer Essentials: Skincare

There's been a theme to some of my posts this month, all revolving around the warmer weather we've been having and finally saying hello to Summer. Today and Wednesday's posts are no different, both are going to be taking you through the products I consider essential to survive the Summer months and the sometimes inescapable heat.The majority of the time I'd jump straight into talking you through the make up I use to make myself look somewhat presentable throughout the warmer months. However today I thought I'd start with skincare because no matter the weather my skin needs that good foundation to work make up over top of so it can look as good as possible.

When it comes to cleansing I am big fan of cleansers that require warm water and flannel to be removed. And whilst there are a whole host of brilliant cleansers out there, in the warmer months you don't want one that will feel too thick on the skin and potentially clog pores causing later irritation. The Garnier Micellar Gel Wash is one of my go to cleansers when it's hot and humid. It's gel formula is lighter than other cream based cleansers and it's micellar technology grabs onto impurities and wipes them away without weighing skin down with excess product. It can be used to remove make up as well as on bare skin and is even suitable for those with more sensitive skins.

If you don't have time to a thorough cleanse or you're having a late night, micellar water is a better option for cleansing over other options such as face wipes. Simple have recently released a new version of their original micellar water. Their Water Boost Micellar Water cleanses skin as well as the original but also has the added bonus of giving skin a burst of hydration at the same time. I don't find myself reaching for a micellar as often as I do a proper cleanser but if my skin needs a refresh or it's a particularly late night, they definitely do what I need them to do.

Something about the warmer weather makes me use facial sprays a lot more than I do during the colder months. I think it's because they're very refreshing and can be taken on the go to give skin that instant boost it sometimes needs. My personal favourite is Liz Earle's Instant Boost Skin Tonic Spritzer. Containing Aloe Vera, Calendula and Cucumber this works to not only refresh the skin but soothe it at the same time. It sprays quite a large amount of product out but it doesn't leave skin feeling drenched or sopping wet. It's the most refreshing spritz I've tried and a few sprays of this whilst I'm at work instantaneously makes my skin feel revived even if the rest of me is sweating balls.

Another brilliant spray comes from Pixi. It's not my favourite spray but the citrus extracts that are woven throughout the formula are very reviving and renergising. It's bit more hit and miss spray wise and too much can leave skin feeling more sweaty than soothed but it's not the worst spray on the market. I enjoy mixing the two together, especially in the morning so that my skin feels refreshed and awakened, ready for the day ahead.

Serum is an integral part of my routine all year round but when it's hot outside and you know that you're skin's going to be sweating within five minutes of leaving the house, you want something lightweight, that will let your skin breathe. Loreal's Hydra Genius Liquid Moisturiser is one of the best lightweight serum/moisturiser hybrids on the market at the moment. Containing nothing more that Aloe Water and Hyaluronic Acid, this works to give skin an instant boost of hydration as well as working deeper down into skin where it stays and releases slowly over time whenever skin needs that boost. It's perfect for layering under SPF and make up and it's lightweight texture doesn't leave skin feeling clogged or weighed down.

A new product that I've been thoroughly enjoying not only because it's hydrating and lightweight but also because it can be mixed with other products to create a blend that meets all your skin's needs. The new Simple Hydrating Booster is a serum based product that can be added to other serums and moisturisers to add a boost of hydration. This has been a saviour on the days where I haven't been using the Loreal as it's so easy to add to any other product I use. It's not as effective on it's own but paired with a lightweight moisturiser or a brightening serum it works wonders. I've found myself reaching for this more in the evening to rejuvenate my skin whereas the Loreal works better for me in the morning.

You can just use serum to hydrate skin but I always find it best to lock it in with a moisturiser over top so skin benefits from the products layered below. And whilst in the Winter when skin is slightly drier, rich moisturisers are brilliant, lighter moisturisers are the way to go during Summer. My go to everyday moisturiser is the Garnier Moisture Bomb Glow Enhancer Water Cream. It contains Pomegranate Extract and Hyaluronic Acid to really hydrate skin and leave it feeling hydrated all day long. It's peach colouring adds a glow to the skin which shines through make up beautifully and gives skin a lit from within look, without making you look sweaty. And because it's a water cream, it's incredibly lightweight on the skin but still effective.

And for days when I haven't been wearing make up (most days), there has been another water cream that I've been thoroughly enjoying. The Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Cream is a lot like the Garnier Moisture Bomb range wherein it contains Hyaluronic Acid and not a lot else and claims to slowly release hydration throughout the day. It's ever so slightly thicker than the Garnier which is perfect for those non make up days as it's a lot more nourishing and there is no worry about make up peeling or balling over top. A full review of this is coming Friday but I will say this has come in very handy with the hot, humid days we had at the beginning of the month.

The last skincare essential for me is actually an everyday essential but during the hotter months it's especially necessary for my skin. SPF for both the body and the face is a big part of my summer routine. As a kid I could spend hours laid out in the sun, loving the golden hue my skin would turn but as I've gotten older I've really come to hate the idea of sitting in the sun for many reasons. Firstly and most importantly for my health, we all know it's not healthy to sit in the sun for long periods of time but also because I'm just darn lazy and hate the idea of having to find another foundation shade to match a tan which probably won't last long. And that's where SPF comes in. For my body I'm very happy to use Superdrug's own brand Solait, it's not thick, does what it's supposed to do and doesn't break the bank. And considering I don't get a lot of my body out regularly, I don't see the point of paying big bucks for something that can sometimes be seldom used. For my face however it's a different story.

Having slightly reactive skin means that the wrong product can cause an instant reaction that could take a good week or two to soothe and clear. The Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Face SPF30 is one of the products that didn't cause that. It's lightweight, oil free, has UVA/UVB protection and is suitable for sensitive skins. It does have a slight white cast to it but it doesn't cause any flashback or is obvious on it's own or through make up. I actually quite like it as it seems to even my skin out ever so slightly and makes applying product over top easier. There are two versions of this product and I'd advise going for the one that looks more brown in tone over the yellow toned one. The yellow toned one is heavier and leaves a film like feeling on the skin which essentially leaves skin feeling absolutely gross after a full day in humidity.

And the other product I've been loving because it's quick and easy is the Garnier Moisture Bomb Ultra-Protecting SPF30 Face Mist. Containing the same ingredients as the rest of the Moisture Bomb Range (Pomegranate Extract and Hyaluronic Acid), this ultra fine aerosol mist offers hydration as well as protection from UVA/UVB as well as pollution. Sure such a fine mist doesn't seem like it would do a lot but it actually works and works well. Skin feel protected and hydrated but not drenched or clogged. It's perfect for taking on the go and using as a top up throughout the day and it's ability to be used over make up is just another tick in my box. I use this on days when I'm just nipping to the shops and feeling a bit lazy because I know I'm not losing any of the protection for my skin and am just really taking a shortcut to look after it instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment