Wednesday 26 July 2017

Summer Essentials: Make Up

So on Monday I shared with you my skincare summer essentials, it was posted first because obviously you put skincare on before you apply make up and it made sense to have the basics laid down before any make up goes near skin. So today I'm going to be talking you through the products I've been getting/will be getting a lot of use out of and I warn you now there is a lightweight theme throughout as anything to heavy when it's hot and humid makes me break out into a sweat just thinking about it.

I use primer everday whether it's hot or cold, rain or shine, so I'm not going to bother talking you through the ones I use on the daily. Foundation however is something I definitely have to change when the weather takes a warmer turn. I'm a big fan of high coverage foundations because I have redness and depending on the day and how my skin is feeling depends on how red my face is. But wearing something ultra covering and sometimes heavy on the skin when you work somewhere with no air con and it's 32C outside is a massive no no. And that's where these first two products come into play. Cushion foundations are practically my best friend during Summer. They're lightweight in texture, don't clog my skin and surprisngly don't budge even when I'm sweating balls. The Maybelline Dream Cushion is slightly higher coverage than some cushion foundations but if I'm extremely red then I find it comes in handy. It's thin liquid consistency means that it doesn't sink into pores or cling to any unsightly areas my skin my have. Sometimes my redness will peek through but that's what concealer was made for however a lot of the time that's not a bother to me as long as my skin can breathe and I can look somewhat put together.

The Loreal Nude Magique Cushion is even lighter in finish. It's more along the lines of a BB Cream but in cushion form. It has a glowy finish which works wonderfully to deflect attention away from any areas that don't look as good as the rest. This is perfect for those days when you want some coverage but you still want your skin to look like skin. It essentially just perfects over the areas you're not happy with and adds a healthy glow which most of us love in the Summer. The only problem that I find with cushion foundations is that sometimes you can't control how much product you're getting and end up using more than planned, that however is only a minor product and is undoubtedly outweighed by all the pros of these products.

This next product I can not live without and will definitely be repurchasing when it runs out. The Rosie For Autograph Sheer Finish Complexion Enhancer is a hybrid between a tinted moisturiser and a BB Cream. Like the name suggests, it's very sheer in coverage but still gives skin that perfected look. I am absolutely hooked on this stuff. It's perfect for my rare but increasing good skin days as it adds a light coverage and evens skin out whilst simultaneously giving skin a radiant glow as well as letting it breath. It feels slightly thick on the skin when you first applied it but when blended out; with fingertips nothing works as well, it feels like more like a moisturiser than a base product. It does last a while on the skin and doesn't fade awkwardly if at all. However because of it's glowy nature, if it's a ultra sweaty day then that glow will look like sweat and can if not powdered or blotted look quite horrific. But it's nothing a little setting powder or setting spray can't fix and then you'll be looking as gorgeous as when you first applied it.

Lighter coverage foundations means that imperfections have the oppotunity to shine through more but that's also where concealer comes in handy and makes the perfect accompinment to Summer skin. Now I use concealer every day but find it comes in more use when the weather is warmer and skin is craving those lighter bases. The Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer is my perfect concealer, it's high coverage yet not heavy and can be used just about everywhere. When my redness is bad and nothing else covers it, this will which is why I enjoy using it so much with lighter finish bases. It blends out flawlessly and doesn't make my skin look like it's caked in extra product. The shade Fair is my perfect shade and can be used on blemishes, under the eyes or even along the tops of my cheekbones as a faux like highlighter.

Most days I can go with just a little powder to set my under eye concealer as well as a sweep down my t-zone but during the Summer I just feel like dumping the whole pot on my face.I used to be a big fan of pressed powders but as the weather has warmed up I've found myself leaning more towards loose powders. They just feel a lot lighter on my skin and even if I happen to sweat it doesn't go cakey or horrid looking. The Barry M Ready Set Smooth Loose Setting Powder is my go to loose powder at the moment. It is a white powder but has no colour transfer when you apply it to the skin and doesn't leave behind a white cast. It's very lightweight in texture and feeling on the skin, which makes it perfect to use both under the eyes and across the face. It never oxidises on the skin or settles into fine lines or open pores the longer I wear it. It also comes with a decent sized mirror and velour puff which makes it perfect for taking it on the go as well.

After powder there is one other product that I could practically bathe myself in everyday. That product is setting spray and whilst it may not control any excess oil or sweat (gross) my skin creates, it does hold my make up on my face and stops it from slipping off. My go to setting spray right now is the Collection Primed And Ready Make Up Fixing Spray. This is a very fine mist that is lightweight on skin and leaves behind a natural looking matte finish. It's mist doesn't drench skin and doesn't disrupt or smudge mascara or eye liner unlike other setting sprays out there. If you've been reading for a while you'll know I was a massive fan of the Maybelline SuperStay Setting Spray but it always felt heavy on my skin where as this one doesn't feel like that and it feels like my skin can actually breathe even though it's covered in make up.

During the Summer I know no matter how hard I try that my base is never going to look as fresh as it does in the Winter so I focus on making my lashes and lips stand out more. And that means big volumising mascaras that give me volume and definition without going over the top. The Loreal Miss Hippie Mascara is my favourite for this. It's barrel shaped bristle brush grabs onto each individual lashes and pulls them up into a stunning volumised, fanned out look. It's brilliant for making eyes look more awake as well as distracting from a not so perfect base. Even though it's not waterproof, it doesn't smudge or flake and is easily removed at the end of the day. This paired with my next product is enough to guarantee a good make up day even when you're not feeling it.

And my last Summer Essential is a bold lip. Rarely a day goes by when I'm not in some variation of bold lip. Red lips are obviously my favourite to wear but during the Summer I also branch out into bold pinks and oranges. And they have to be matte, I can't wear a glossy or sheen finish bold as I'd only end up with it smeared everywhere, so the more matte the better. Maybelline do a brilliant range of matte lipsticks, as do Stila and of course Kat Von D's Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks get a lot of wear but the one I've been obsessed with lately comes from Barry M. Their Matte Me Up Liquid Lipstick in Paparazzi is the perfect red for Summer. It's a mix of a tomato red and a blue toned which means it suits a multitude of skin tones. It's lightweight texture means it feels like you aren't wearing a liquid lipstick and it's thin consistency means that it feels comfortable on the lips for longer. And when I've not been wearing this which is rare I've been trying out the new Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Lipstick in Firestarter which is stunning red as well as the Barry M Matte Me Up Lip Kits which aren't as bright as this but are still as stunning on the lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment