Friday 14 July 2017

Top 5 Tips For Summer Skin

Summer is well and truly here. And whilst it's nice to have longer days, constant sunshine and memorable times with friends, we sometime we forget that Summer can take it's toll on us and our skin. My skin especially has suffered since the temperatures rose and it's taken a lot of patience and trial and error to get it back to a place where I'm happy with it. So today I thought I'd share with you my Top 5 Tips for happy summer skin.

Hydration Is Key
Now this is something I'm terrible at, I never drink enough water, I try but it just never works. However when I do manage to guzzle down my allotted two litres a day, I see a major difference in my skin. It looks brighter, clearer and even feels more supple to the touch. Sure waters not the most delicious taste wise but it is the quickest way to hydrate both your body and skin. With the UK heating up, I have been managing to work through two lites a day and I'm so glad I have. If plain tap water isn't for you, there is an array of flavoured waters out there that will do exactly the same thing. If you struggle to drink 2 litres a day, try picking up a 2 litre bottle of water from the supermarket and seeing how much you can drink in a day. Trust me, when you see it like that, it'll make you want to finish the bottle.

SPF Is Essential
If there is one thing I'm extra pedantic about during the Summer months, it's SPF. Facial SPF is an everyday essential for me anyway and I never go a day without it which means I'm free to focus more on making sure my body is protected. Now I'm not the best at remembering to apply SPF everytime I leave the house but for those days when I know I'm going to be out and about a lot then I make sure I'm covered, head to toe. And for my body I have to say I don't buy into all the big brands that claim to last all day long or stay strong even after being exposed to water. Superdrug's Solait Body Sun Lotions are just as good as any big brand I've tried in the past and I find that for a SPF they don't leave skin feeling like their covered in a film like other brands can. However the Solait facial SPF doesn't agree with my skin (too clogging) and not many brands do high quality facial SPFs. That's where Hawaiian Tropic and Garnier step up as brands. The Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Face with SPF is lightweight, oil free and works wonderfully under make up. It's also suitable for those with sensitive skins and won't clog pores. Or if that's not your cup of tea there is the Garnier Moisture Bomb Multi-Protecting Mist with SPF 30. It's aerosol formula and lightweight feel makes it perfect for taking on the go. Plus it can be used over make up without disruption and also boost skins hydration whilst protecting it at the same time.

Facial Sprays Will Be Your Best Friend
If there is one thing I can't live without during the warmer months, it's a facial spray. They're lightweight on the skin, a quick fix and ninety-nine percent of the time don't disrupt what little make up I have on. Refreshing, toning and hydrating all in one, a facial spray is a brilliant handbag product that you can use anytime. Brands such as La Roche Posay and Liz Earle do miniatures of their facial sprays which make them more travel friendly but if you can carry around a 100ml deodorant then I'm sure you have room for a 100ml facial spray as well. I always make sure I have a facial spray on me, especially when at work. No air con and a windowless upstairs make it very humid very quickly.

Cleanse, Cleanse, Cleanse
We all know how it is in the Summer. It's hot and as much as we try we can't always avoid the less than ladylike act of sweating. And that's where properly cleansing our face comes in handy. Whether you've been wearing make up or not, thoroughly cleansing skin is a big part of not only good skin in general but good skin in the Summer. Oily skintypes fair better with lighter gel based cleansers as not to clog the skin or cause it to create more oil. Dry to normal skin types can use oil based cleansers as they can replace the hydration and nourish deeper into skin whilst simultaneously removing all signs of dirt and grime. Garnier's SkinActive Botanicals line is brilliant if you're looking for a cleanser. There's a cleanser out there for everyone in the range and you can chop and change between the ranges to create your perfect skincare routine.

Keep It Light
And my last tip is to keep everything light. Skincare and make up, it's best to keep it light in the warmer months. Not only do you look like you have a natural summer glow about you but you don't have to worry about it running and looking less than perfect a mere twenty minutes after you've applied. And it does your skin the world of good. Heavier make up will more than likely sit in any open pores the heat/humidity has created and in the long run it's going to clog them up and create blemishes which is the last thing any one wants. Lighter layers not only will leave skin feeling more like skin but will give it a natural glow and will be easier to work with if touch ups are necessary. Skincare wise I'd advise trying any of the new breed of moisturiser on the market. Brands such as Neutrogena, Loreal and Garnier all have their versions of a water cream, which isn't just a big drink for skin but also lighter and more effective as they work deeper than the skin's surface and slowly work over time. That then helps the appearance of your make up and it's not going to look powdery or dry in places and if you use a cushion foundation or BB cream type product you'll have healthy looking skin without it feeling to clogged down or blocked up. Loreal's Nude Magique Cushion Foundation and the Rosie For Autograph Sheer Finish Complexion Enhancer are light coverage that can be built up where necessary without looking or feeling like too much on the skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment