Thursday 18 May 2017

5 New First Impressions

Recently a lot of brands have released a slew of new products and some of them caught my eye. The ones I did buy you would have seen in my haul on Wednesday but whilst I was looking through my purchases I realised I had enough products to do more or less a full face of make up. So today I'm going to be sharing my first impressions on five new products from Maybelline, Collection and Barry M.

I did prep my skin before hand with my usual skincare which includes my Loreal Hydra Genius Liquid Moisturiser, Garnier Moisture Bomb Water Gel Cream and Hawaiian Tropic Facial SPF 30. And once this sunk in I went in my Maybelline SuperStay Primer which dries down to a semi matte finish and has a tackiness to it that helps products adhere to the skin. I thought I'd share this with you so you had a better understanding of why the products applied the way they did.

 Product: These are the new Collection Lasting Perfection Colour Correctors. They come in three colours, Lemon, Purple and Green. Yellow is for dark circles, Green is for redness and Purple is for dullness. I picked up the Green and Yellow as they were what I needed correcting the most.
First Impression: These are the same consistency as the concealer and only a little is needed as they apply very opaque on the skin. They blend out better with a damp beauty blender than they do a brush and don't leave behind a weird coloured cast like other correctors do. Under my eyes the Lemon shade worked well and really disguised the look of my dark circles. Both foundation and concealer applied nicely over the top of it and didn't separate or look patchy at all. The Green however didn't cover my redness as well as I though it was going to and when I applied foundation over top caused some sort of separation between the two along my jaw and chin.

Product: This is the Maybelline Dream Cushion Foundation. It's Maybelline's first cushion foundation and calls itself a Liquid Foundation On-The-Go. There are seven shades in the range from Natural Ivory (my shade) to Caramel. This has an SPF of 20 and is supposed to have a medium buildable coverage.
First Impressions: I have the lightest shade (Natural Ivory) and it doesn't look very fair in the compact or on the skin. It's very yellow in tone so any fair pink toned skins wouldn't be able to wear this shade. The compact is saturated in product and one press of the cushion is enough to do the majority of the face. The sponge you get with the compact is brilliant for blending it out but I'd also advise going in with a damp beauty blender afterwards just to make sure everything is completely blended out. It leaves a nice coverage behind and managed to conceal some of the redness still peeking through the colour corrector. It dried down to a satin finish but there was still a glow to my skin but that could have been from my moisturisers beforehand.

Product: This is the Barry M Ready Set Smooth Loose Setting Powder. This white no colour powder is not only supposed to set make up into place but also help control oil and stop skin looking shiny. It comes with a mirror in the lid, a powder puff and there is a deep rim around the powder itself so it doesn't spill everywhere. It's very lightweight in feel and doesn't leave a colour behind on the skin.
First Impressions: This powder is amazing. It's lightweight, doesn't leave skin looking or feeling powdery and doesn't a colour to the skin. Both under the eyes and on the rest of the face this didn't look cakey or leave my skin feeling like it was covered in powder. It mattified everything I needed it to and left my skin look matt but still natural looking.

 Product: This is the Barry M Lash Saver Lash Primer. This is a white mascara designed to be worn underneath mascara. Not only does it help prolong the wear of your mascara but it's enriched with ingredients that help encourage growth and conditions lashes as you wear it.
First Impressions: This is a really nice product. It's not a stark white which you can't cover with mascara but you can see it on the lashes before you apply your mascara of choice. I wasn't expecting a lot from this but this seemed to make my lashes appear longer and the curl more defined. I went in with my Miss Hippie mascara afterwards which normally gives me good lashes but over the top of this primer it gave me great lashes. They looked fanned out, defined and the curl seemed to sit better than before. Definitely going to be using this a lot in the future.

Product: And finally we have the Collection Primed and Ready Make Up Fixing Spray. This is a lightweight fine mist setting spray that is said to lock make up into place and prolong it's wear. It's set the face down to a matt finish but doesn't leave it looking dry or cakey.
First Impressions: This is another amazing product. It's a very fine mist that doesn't drench the skin or disturb make up. It doesn't leave skin feeling dry once it's locked everything into place and doesn't leave skin powdery to touch. Some setting sprays cause mascara to smudge but this one didn't even budge my mascara. Definitely a new favourite, it could even replace my Maybelline SuperStay Setting Spray.

And this is what everything looks like put together. I added a bit of Benefit's Gimme Brow through my brows and my favourite Rosie For Autograph Lipstick in Lady Rose. I'm happy with how this looks, my under eye area looks brighter than normal and even when I went to remove my make up, my under eye area still looks brighter than it would if there was just concealer there. The foundation looks okay on my skin here but I spent most of my day worried that my neck looked paler than my face even though I made sure to blend it thoroughly down my neck. I like how this wore but noticed where I applied the colour corrector underneath it started to dry out as the day wore on. The powder and setting spray really helped lock my make up into place and kept it in place all day. There are times I have a slight sheen to my skin when I go to take it off but with this combo I didn't have that problem. And the lash primer was the product that surprised me the most. A lot of the time my lashes droop a few hours after I've applied my mascara and whilst these did droop they were also malleable and could easily be lifted back into a defined curl that made my eyes look wide awake if even they weren't. There wasn't a lot of disappointments out of these products, just a few things that could have been improved but overall I'll definitely be reaching for them again, especially the lash primer, setting powder and setting spray. Those were three that the really impressed me out of the five.

No comments:

Post a Comment