Thursday 25 May 2017

Wear And Compare: Maybelline Dream Cushion Foundation Plus Review

As the weather starts to get nicer I've decided to ditch the heavier coverage foundations and embrace a lighter coverage. Of course that meant my trusty old Loreal Nude Magique Cushion Foundation came back out but instead of being my one and only choice, Maybelline coincidentally released their new Dream Cushion Foundation.

There are a lot of similarities between the two foundations from packaging, to pricing and general design. There are however some differences between the two products and some of them have really stood out to me as I've been wearing and comparing these.

 Let's start with the Maybelline as it's the newer of the two. The Dream Cushion Liquid On The Go Foundation is a medium coverage cushion foundation that comes in seven shades, has an SPF of 20 and leaves skin with natural glowy finish that still allows skin to breathe.The Loreal Nude Magique is a light to buildable medium coverage. It comes in six shades, has an SPF of 29 and leaves skin looking healthy and radiant. Both foundations can be applied with sponge that comes with it but if you don't like it then you can definitely go in with a sponge or brush of your choice.

My first impression of the Dream Cushion wasn't brilliant. Whilst the shade looked like it matched my skintone in the shop, it appeared darker on my skin when I tried it at home. And as the day went on it looked like it was oxidising on my skin the longer I wore it. The coverage wasn't perfect either and looked ever so slightly patchy in places where I needed it more. The finish of this foundation was it's only saving grace but that wasn't enough for me to not want to put it into my pile of disappointing products. That's until I started playing around with it and after a couple more tries I found myself becoming impressed by it.

When I initially tried it I was pressing the provided sponge into the product once and then using that for one side of my face. And that's when it started to appear darker on my skin. However I found that applying one press of product to both sides of the face and then blending it out worked a lot better. Sure it didn't give a lot of coverage and I found I needed to go in with concealer afterwards but the shade matched my skin a lot better this way. It also didn't seem to oxidise on my skin and I wasn't worried about having that tell tell line of foundation along my jaw/neck. Lately the weather here has been humid and left everyone feeling gross and sweaty. Normally my foundation would disappear straight away in conditions like this but my foundation still looked as good as it did when I applied it a good six or seven hours later.

The Nude Magique is/was one of my favourite foundations but lately I've found myself being disappointed by it's coverage even when I've built it up to it's most and even by the end of applying the rest of my make up it looks patchy and uneven. And whilst it's supposed to give skin a radiant glow it just makes me look ridiculously sweaty. And that's one of the major differences between these two foundations. I find with the Dream Cushion I don't need as much powder to set it in place whereas the Nude Magique I have to use a lot more powder to feel like it's set in place and not going anywhere and that leads to it occasionally looking very powdery, almost cakey on the skin. I don't know if it's because I'm used to the full coverage look my Loreal Total Cover gives me or even the Dream Cushion but I'm not enjoying this as much as I did last year.

Between the two of them right now I'm enjoying the Dream Cushion more than the Nude Magique. It's higher coverage, longer lasting and still allows my skin to look and feel like skin without being too pore clogging. The Nude Magique may come back into my rotation as the weather heats up and lighter coverage foundations become more my thing but right now I'm finding myself not reaching for it as much. If I was going to recommend purchasing one I would recommend the Nude Magique. Even though I am enjoying the Dream Cushion matching a perfect shade is harder as the shades jump quite dramatically and there really isn't a distinction between the yellow toned shades and the pink toned shades, especially in the fairer shades. Both are on the higher end of the price scale when it comes to drugstore foundations but I'd say that the Nude Magique is definitely worth the price tag whereas the Dream Cushion isn't really worth it's high price tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment