Monday 12 March 2018

Recipe: Mini Egg Rocky Road

                        
We've been inundated with Mini Eggs everywhere since the beginning of the year and with Easter fast approaching, I thought I'd better pull my finger out and get sharing some Easter recipes I've been planning for a while. Now I'm not going to lie, they will consist mainly of Mini Eggs purely because I'm not a fan of a Cream Egg and don't want to mess with the perfection that is Cadbury's Caramel Eggs.

To kick everything off I'm starting with Rocky Road. I'd like to say this is simple and perfect for beginner bakers but it's taken me four attempts to get it perfect. Some of it was down to the wrong amount of chocolate but most of it was down to me burning the chocolate as I melted it over a bain marie. I being the impatient cow I am put the heat too high and essentially let it burn over each time. So let that be the biggest thing you take from this recipe, be patient, keep the temperature low and don't stop stirring the mixture.

Ingredients
- 400g Milk Chocolate
- 125g Unsalted Butter
- 125g Golden Syrup
- 100g Mini Marshmallows
- 200g Digestives, broken up
- 200g Mini Eggs, with a few left over for snacking on

Method
  1. Line a baking tray with cling film or baking parchment. The tin can be as big or as deep as you like, it all depends on how you want your rocky road to turn out. And I'd advise lining your tin with a strip of cling film/baking parchment horizontally then another one vertically as it'll make it easy to remove it from the tin later on. 
  2. In a bowl over a pan of water place the golden syrup, chocolate and butter. Melt on a low temperature, stirring the mix consistently to make sure everything melts evenly. It's best to make the butter and chocolate as small as possible as it means that's it more likely to melt quicker at a lower temperature. And whilst it may seem tempting to turn the temperature up, don't! It's only going to end in disaster and then you'll be annoyed with yourself, trust me I'm speaking from experience. 
  3. Whilst the chocolate is melting, I'd advise putting the rest of the dry ingredients together into a large bowl so that you can just go straight in with the chocolate mix when it's ready. 
  4. Once the chocolate mixture is completely melted and combined, pour over your dry ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon, making sure to cover everything liberally. 
  5. Once you're happy with how it looks, pour into your prepared tin and smooth down with a spatula. Then just pop it into the fridge for a few hours to set. 
  6. Once it's set all you've got to do then, is cut it and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment