Friday 24 August 2018

GRWM: Minimal Make Up

 
The Summer months always mean lighter bases and barely there make up. This year has been no exception, especially considering some of the temperatures the UK has had during the last couple of months. For the most part I've been going bare faced but the times I have dared to put make up on, it's been extremely minimal and doused liberally in a setting spray or two.

Primer
For primer I have several that I use to really create the perfect base for make up. Yes I know it's rather excessive but it works and that's all that matters. Two of them will be no surprise if you've read any of my previous GRWM's, the first being the Barry M Hydro Fix Primer Water. It really hydrates skin and leaves it feeling plump and ready for any base product you apply over top. The second is the Maybelline SuperStay Primer which again is an old favourite. Normally I'd apply them and go in with foundation but lately I've been adding in the Maybelline Master Primer Anti Redness Primer to help tone down some of the redness in my cheeks. The two of them combined creates a flawless looking base that reduces any redness in my skin and leaves skin feeling perfectly tacky so it'll grab and hold onto any base product you apply over top.

Foundation
Now during the warmer months I like to keep bases light so I don't have to worry about touching it up during the day. Normally my choice of base is the Rosie For Autograph Sheer Finish Complexion Enhancer but today I wanted something light but with a little more coverage to cover the fading dark marks from a couple of blemishes I've had. So I went with the Gosh Foundation Drops instead. It's a water based foundation so it feels extremely light on the skin with an easy to build coverage. I used three drops for a light coverage that allowed my skin to look perfected but still like skin. A damp beauty blender is my go to for blending this in as it gives its a beautiful finish that looks and feels like skin.

Concealer
For concealer I kept it mostly under my eyes to hide the fact I spent most of the early hours scrolling Twitter in an insomniac haze. For that I went in with my trusty Make Up Revolution Conceal And Define Concealer. It may seem a little heavy for a minimal make up look but I only but apply the most miniscule amount under the eye. One dot is enough to cover my dark circles and again, I blended it out with my damp beauty blender. Then I just applied a little over my forehead and down my nose as they are areas my foundation just seems to disappear from. Again a little goes a long way and when blended/pressed in, it gives a more skin like look that lasts longer than blending with a brush would.

Powder
I've tried to stay away from powder as the weather's gotten hotter. It just seems to sit in an unflattering way on my skin and shows up, even after I've set everything with setting spray. However I find I still need a little under the eye to stop my concealer creasing. The only powder that doesn't dry my under eye area out is the MUA Ultra Fine Loose Setting Powder. It's white in colour which doesn't translate on the skin and is invisible, leaving it looking like skin, instead of powdery and dry in places. I use my damp beauty blender to press this over top of my concealer as I find it lasts longer on the skin and my concealer doesn't crease or fade throughout the day.

Eyes
Moving onto eyes, I wanted my lashes to stand out in a not overly dramatic way but in a way that made my eyes look bigger and awake to coincide with the fresh, healthy skin look I started with the base. So to start with I curled my lashes before going in with a coat of the Maybelline Lash Sensational Primer. I usually use Benefit's They're Real Tinted Primer but I couldn't find it in my stash so Maybelline had to do. This white primer base coat really helps keep any volume that the lash curlers have created and nourishes lashes as you wear it. Over the top of that I applied the Maxfactor Clumpy Defy Mascara. It's similar to the Lash Sensational mascara from Maybelline but it's brush is ever so slightly thinner. It really catches each lash and creates a volumised, defined look that makes me look more awake even when I'm not.

Setting Spray
I didn't bother with lipstick because I wanted to keep the look minimal and lipstick would make it more put together than the casual vibe I was going with. And we were also eating out so I didn't want the bother of having to reapply lipstick and make sure it was perfect when I could just pop a bit of lip balm on and be done with it. So to finish this look, all the was left to apply was setting spray. For this I went with the Make Up Revolution Rose and Guava Make Up Fixing Mist. It smells divine, feels really lightweight on the skin and locks make up in place all day long, even in the humid weather we're still experiencing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment