Friday 17 August 2018

Review: Loreal Les Chocolats Ultra Matte Liquid Lipstick

When I saw Loreal advertising their Les Chocolats Ultra Matte Liquid Lipsticks on Instagram, I wasn't instantly hooked and wanted one of every shade. I waited patiently for them to come into stores and then spent even longer deliberating what colour I wanted. Then I finally had my colour and it was mine to wear whenever I wanted which is where the disappointment set in.

 I got the shade, a deep browny greige shade. There's a backstory to why I went with this shade when there where other shades I could've chosen. A couple of years back Stila released their annual miniature liquid lipstick set and in one there was a limited edition shade called Serenata. It was stunning, a deep greige shade that complimented my fairer complexion perfectly and acted like my perfect nineties grunge brown shade. However with it being limited edition I haven't worn it as much as I'd love to because I don't want it to run out. So I've spent ages looking for a good dupe that'll give me the same shade without being limited edition or hard to repurchase. I thought this was it and whilst it's a beautiful colour match, the formula is the biggest formula let down I've had in ages.

When somethings advertised as ultra matte you know it's going to be long wearing but slightly uncomfortable to wear. We've all worn something similar before and will likely do it again in the future but I for one can tell you, this liquid lipstick will never grace my lips again. It's highly pigmented and opaque in one swipe making it sound perfect but during the drying process it becomes extremely sticky and if you make the mistake of pushing your lips together then it's game over. Thinking it was dry, I pushed my lips together and ended up with a string of product hanging from my top lip, it also removed product from my lips and when I tried to remedy it, it just got worse.

The formula is too thick, the doe foot applicator holds too much product and not enough product at the same time. The product isn' distributed evenly across the lips, meaning you have to dip back into the tube and end up applying even more product where it isn't necessary instead of where you need it. Yet it wasn't all this that put me right off this product. It's the fact that it took several layers of my skin off with it when I removed it. I used an oil based cleanser like I do with all liquid lipsticks and it still took five minutes of me removing it to see even the tiniest bit of my lip underneath. Once I did manage to remove it, my poor lips were sore, red and chapped. No amount of lip balm was saving my lips from this product and if I were you, I wouldn't even give it a second glance in the stores. Sure they have beautiful neutral shades, sure they smell like chocolate but application is more work than I and I'm sure many others are willing to put in and removal both after a mistake and in general is a painful task which will leave your lips so sore you won't be able to wear lipsticks for a good few days afterwards. Want a long lasting lipstick that won't ruin your lips? Try the Maybelline SuperStay Matte Inks or pay a little more for the Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipsticks or Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment