Monday 6 August 2018

Recipe: Dark Chocolate and Coconut Cookies

Ever since I made my Double Chocolate Cookies I've been thinking of other combinations that would make a great cookie. It took a while but I managed to think of a few. And the one I decided to try the most was a combination of coconut and dark chocolate. Now I know everyone isn't a big fan of dark chocolate but paired with the coconut, some of the bitter taste is taken away and is a welcomed flavour in the cookie. 

Ingredients 
150g Salted Butter, softened 
80g Light Brown Muscavdo Sugar 
80g Granulated Sugar 
2Tsp Vanilla Extract 
1 Egg
225g Plain Flour 
1/2 Tsp Bicarbonate Of Soda 
1/4 Tsp Salt 
100g Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies 
50g Desicated Coconut 

Method 
1- Pre heat your oven to 180c. I sometimes do mine at 200c to warm it up as my oven takes a while to warm up and then turn it back down to 180c just before I start creating the balls of dough. 
2- Line several baking trays with greaseproof paper or baking parchment. I always do three trays as I never know what size they’re going to turn out and I like to be prepared. 
3-In your stand mixer place the softened salted butter, granulated and muscavdo sugar and beat until creamy and smooth. You can use a electric hand mixer but I find a stand mixer is a lot quicker.
4- Add the vanilla extract and egg and then beat again. I always take advantage of this step to really scrape around the bowl and make sure everything is incorporated. 
5- Then sieve the salt, bicarbonate of soda and plain flour into the mixture. I advise taking your bowl off the base of your mixer so you don't end up with flour everywhere.
6- Beat briefly until everything is combined and you have the makings of cookie dough in your bowl. 
7- Then it’s time to add the chocolate chips and desicated coconut. I started with the chocolate chips and beat them in, both with my stand mixer and a spatula when I took it off the base. Then I added the desicated coocnut bit by bit so I got the exact amount of coconut I wanted which is something I advise you to do. Not everyone is a fan of coconut so just aff as little as much as you want. 
8- Now it's time to make your balls of cookie dough. Normally I'd just use my hands but I wanted to see if I could make smaller balls and get more out of the mixture. So I used my trusty old ice cream/batter mixture scoop. It creates just the right size ball of dough and you don't have to get your hands dirty and covered in dough. I managed to make around sixteen cookies by using my scoop and I'd highly advise using one if you're wanting to make large amount of cookies from one dough. 
9- Bake in the oven for 10-15mins or until the edges are firm and the centres are still a little wobbly. 
10- Once out of the oven leave them to rest on the tray for a couple of minutes. It just allows the centres to firm up and less likely to stick or fall apart when you transfer them to a cooling rack. 
11- When they’ve firmed up transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely or enjoy whilst they’re still warm. I'd highly advise enjoying them whilst their warm as the chocolate chips are still slightly melted and will make the rest of the cookie just melt in your mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment