Monday 19 October 2015

Review: Barry M Midnight Gelly Polishes

When Barry M releases a new collection I know I'm just going to need it in my collection. And I was right about their latest release. The Midnight Gelly collection is a range of four polishes that in my opinion are meant to look black in some lights and their actual colour in others.

The four shades in the range are perfect for autumn/winter and I know I'm going to get a lot of wear out of these colours. There is Black Currant, a very dark purple. Black Pistachio, a very interesting green shade. Black Grape, a dark navy shade and Black Cherry, a brown toned red.

My favourite thing about these polishes isn't the formula or the finish. It's the brush. Barry M have redesigned the brush so it's no longer that very thin brush that barely coated your nail to one of the wider flat brushes that can actually cover my nails in one go.

However I am really impressed with both the formula and the finish. As I expected with these, they are a thicker consistency that means they are opaque in one coat. All except Black Pistachio which can look streaky on the nails after one coat. I'd advise doing two coats on all the shades anyway as I find this gives a bit more depth to the colour and gives them a nice shiny finish. Another thing I would advise is a base coat, I have tried these on my bare nails and they didn't stain but I wouldn't risk it.

When it comes to finish, these are another set of Gelly's that don't let you down. Once dry they have a stunning shine which is only enhanced further once a top coat is added. I can find the shine to be decieving though. The Gelly Polishes have a fair amount of shine no matter if they've just been applied or if they are completely dry and sometimes that shine can be deceiving and leads to smudging. I found this happened with all four shades in this range and I smudged a few nails as they had a dry shine instead of a newly applied/still wet shine.

Overall I really really like these polishes. They're right up my street colour wise, they have a newly designed brush and they give off that expected shine when dry. I do wish that they would dry a bit quicker though but apart from that I would highly recommend checking these out when you're next at a Barry M stand. Especially if you've got a Halloween party coming up soon.

Have any of you tried these? Did you like them? Or did you not? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment