Tuesday 27 October 2015

Top 5: Halloween Films

This Saturday coming is Halloween and if you like me have no plans except a cup of tea and popcorn while watching a film or two then I thought I'd share my top 5 Halloween Films. You can probably tell from the picture above that I'm more a fan of the kids Halloween films than the scary ones that make you jump every five seconds.

My first pick for this top 5 is a film that has been one of my all time favourites for as long as I can remember. The Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my favourite Tim Burton films and I can watch this repeatedly without getting bored of it. It has a brilliant range of characters and the soundtrack is amazing, I always have a good sing along when watching this much to my neighbours dismay. If you haven't seen this one I recommend you check it out, it's one that will keep you entertained for years. Plus you can break it out at Christmas as well as you get the best of both holidays in it.

My next pick is Hotel Transylvania. Yes I know it may seem silly and childish but around this time of year where work gets busy and I start to see the first Christmas rush of the year I just love turning to this film. With a host of recognisable voices, this feel good film gives a twist to the monstrous side of Halloween. And if I'm honest I watch this throughout the year, purely for the feel good vibe it gives me everytime. Plus if you've seen the advert for number two and weren't planning on seeing it as you hadn't seen the first then this is a great time to watch it.

My third pick is a film I only discovered this year but instantly fell in love with. And too be honest who wouldn't fall in love with Bette Midler as one of the main characters. It comes across cheesy but that is exactly what I fell for. Good laughs, a brilliant cast and a young Sarah Jessica Parker has put this well on truly on my Halloween Film List.

My next pick is another that I've loved for as long as I can remember. It's just a shame though that it can't be brought on DVD in the UK. I remember loving it every Halloween when Disney would show all these films in a row. If you haven't seen Halloweentown, it's about a girl called Marnie who's a witch but doesn't know it until her grandma comes home from Halloweentown one year. Then and only then does Marnie find out about her powers and the existence of Halloweentown. And of course from then on, there is a villian who's out to get Marnie and her family. However I won't go into too much detail in case you plan on watching it this Halloween.

And finally my last pick of this top 5 is The Craft, the only grown up Halloween Movie in the mix. I was torn between this and Practical Magic but this I've seen more so it had to be part of this. I think the main appeal of this movie to me is that instead of being the damsels who end up being killed, the female characters are woman not to be messed with and to me that says a lot. Not one I've watched this year but definitely one I'll be breaking out before Saturday.

So that's my Top 5 Halloween Movies. What are yours? Were any of them the same as mine? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment