Wednesday 9 May 2018

Make Up Shake Up

                           
A couple of weeks ago I had a massive beauty purge. A lot of it was in a condition to donate whilst some of it just had to be thrown away. And whilst I was in the midst of going through everything, I discovered some old favourites which I once loved but hadn't used in a while. So for the last few days I've been switching out a few of my regular products with some I'd rediscovered and I thought I'd share the results with you. 

                             
I didn't discover any old primers so I just used my normal duo of the Barry M Hydro Fix Primer Water and the Maybelline SuperStay Primer. I did though find the Barry M Flawless Colour Correcting Wands. I remember trying these when they were first released and I wasn't initially impressed, much preferring the Collection Lasting Perfection Colour Correctors. And again when I used these; lemon under the eye and green on any redness, I wasn't impressed again. The lemon did a little to brighten my under eye area but some of the blue tones still showed under my eyes. The green corrector was too thin in consistency to do anything for my redness and with this mini heatwave we're experiencing, it was also pointless as my redness just shined through soon afterwards. 

                     
I found quite a few different foundations but only one still matched my complexion. And I'm so glad I found this out as I've fallen in love with it all over again. The Gosh Foundation Drops were a key staple in my routine but then I found another foundation I loved more and they were forgotten about. However this is now going into my daily rotation of base products as it has just wowed me. It's a buildable foundation which can either be quite light in finish or built up to a heavier coverage without going cakey or powdery on the skin. The shade 002 matches my complexion perfectly and doesn't oxidise on my skin, even in this warmth. I bopped it in with a damp beauty blender which not only helped keep a good level of coverage but also gave it a more natural, flawless look that just can't be acquired with a brush. 

                           
I didn't find any different concealer so that I could use so for my under eyes and any excess redness I wanted covered I just went in with my normal combination of the Make Up Revolution Conceal and Define Concealer and the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer. I did find another powder to try however and I wasn't exactly bowled over by it. The MUA Skin Define Hydro Powder claims to hydrate skin whilst locking make up in place but in fact it just sits heavily on the skin and ruins what was a lovely looking foundation. I tried applying it both with a beauty blender and a brush and found that nothing could make this powder work with my skin. Plus it's slight yellow undertone gave my skin a warmth that I wasn't too pleased with. 

                           
For lashes I rediscovered an old favourite lash primer and a mascara that was still sat in its plastic. I loved the Barry M Lash Saver Lash Primer but then I discovered the Maybelline Lash Sensational Lash Primer. I can remember why I liked it, it gave my lashes volume and lift that doesn't droop no matter how hot it is outside. Plus it contains a complex of ingredients that helps lashes grow, something my lashes could do with. Then I don't remember getting this mascara but at some point I did. The Maxfactor Clump Defy mascara is amazing, it's plastic bristle brush is curved to follow the contour of the eye and catches each individual lash to give them both length and volume. Now I'm not sure if it's the mascara or if it's the lash primer but my lashes haven't looked this good in a while and I think it's all down to this combo. 

                             
Now my lips aren't anything new but I thought I'd share it with you anyway. I lined my lips with the Maybelline Color Sensational Lip Liner in Dusty Rose. I then filled my lips in with the Maybelljne SuperStay Matte Ink in Seductress. Now when I swatched Seductress in the shop, it looked a bit darker than it actually appeared on my lips. So I just added a touch of my Rosie For Autograph lipstick in Silk Cami to even everything out amd darken it ever so slightly. I really like both the Matte Ink and the Rosie For Autograph lipstick as they last all day long but aren't drying or uncomfortable. 

                          
Whilst I was decluttering/organising my beauty products I discovered a bottle of the Make Up Revolution Amazing Make Up Fixing Spray. From what I can remember, I wasn't a big fan of it. And again I'm not sure if I like this or not but I'm also not sure if that's because of the powder I used underneath. I'm going to try it with my normal loose setting powder and see if everything sits better, if not then it's bye bye to it. 

Overall I quite liked how this look turned out. I definitely won't be reaching for the colour Correctors or the powder again but the lash combo and the foundation I'll be adding into my daily rotation of products. The setting spray I'm going to try with a few different base products and powders to see if it's actually a decent product or if it just doesn't agree with certain products used beforehand. Keep your eyes peeled because if I continue to like them they may feature in a favourites post at some point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment