Wednesday 30 May 2018

What I Read: May

                         
Today I'm back with another What I Read to end the month. I did really well this month, I flew through three books before we'd even hit the middle of the month. But I haven't picked up a book since which makes me overdo it at the beginning of the month or if the book I've started isn't as good as I'm trying to make myself believe. 

                         
The Girl On The Train- Paula Hawkins 
The first book I sailed through was the best selling novel The Girl On The Train. I'd watched the film last year but was quite intrigued to see how the book differed from it. It centres around Rachel, a divorced alcoholic who spends her daily train journeys imagining the lives of others that she sees. When one of the women she's dreamt an imaginary life for goes missing, she tries to help but ends up being more of a hindrance. And that's all I'm going to say without spoiling it but I thoroughly enjoyed every page. Even though I had an idea of how it ended, I was still sitting up until the small hours to see if it would plan out as I thought it would. And as I said this has been made into a film which usually deviates a lot from the original book but this pretty much played out as I remember the film playing out. I highly recommend checking both out if you like a good mystery/thriller. 

                        
The Caller- Chris Carter 
This next book I finished in about three days even though it had a hundred plus chapters. I was hooked. The Caller is actually the eighth book in a series but can easily be read without reading the previous seven. It centres around a detective called Robert Hunter and his work in the Violent Crimes Department of the LAPD. The case that unfolds throughout the book revolves around a psycho who video calls the family/friends of their intended victim and forces them to play a game to see if they can save their loved one. However get a question wrong and it can all end badly very suddenly. It was highly addictive, gruesome and nail biting all at once. I couldn't put it down, I was so desperate to see who the culprit was and boy was I shocked when it was revealed. I'll definitely be going back to read the first seven in the series but I've got nothing good things to say about this book that I picked up on the off chance in Sainsburys for £1.99. 

                          
Unfiltered. No Shame, No Regrets, Just Me- Lily Collins 
And the last book I read this month is one I've been dying to read for the longest time. Lily Collins memoir Unfiltered is exactly as its described. She goes into depth about growing up, eating disorders, abusive relationships and learning to love yourself in this eye opening and humbling book. I devoured this book quicker than any other book I've ever read. Because she was so honest and upfront about her experiences in life, I found myself relating to them, having found myself in a couple myself. And as I read her no bullshit outlook on everything, I found myself understanding not only my own actions during these times but also those of the others involved. I finished this book with a lighter heart and am now aiming to live everyday to the fullest, including loving all my little quirks and differences that make me uniquely me. I highly recommend giving it a read, it's a brilliant way to start looking at things without those rose tinted glasses a lot of love to wear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment