Tuesday 16 April 2019

Recipe: Mini Egg Cookies

Around Easter the shops are filled with the typical confectionary and cakes. Yet in my opinion they're overpriced and overrated when you can easily make a tasty and cute looking Easter treat at home. And this year that's what I've done. I've not allowed myself to be sucked in by the various treats on offer in shops and have made my own. I started with Mini Egg Rocky Road, Mini Egg Rice Krispie Nests and today I'm following them both up with Mini Egg Cookies.

Recipe 
150g Salted Butter, softened
80g Light Brown Muscavado Sugar
80g Granulated Sugar 
2Tsp Vanilla Extract 
1 Egg 
225g Plain Flour 
30g Cocoa Powder
1/2 Tsp Bicarbonate Of Soda
1/4 Tsp Salt 
150g Mini Eggs
Method 
1- Pre heat your oven to 180C. Line several baking trays with greaseproof paper/baking parchment. 
2- In a mixing bowl place the softened salted butter, granulated and muscavado sugar and beat until smooth and creamy. This may take a while as you don't want any lumps of sugar left in your mixture. 
3- Add the vanilla extract and the egg and beat again. This is where I take the opportunity to scrape around the sides of the bowl so that everything gets fully incorporated into the mixture. 
4- Sieve the salt, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder and flour into the mixture. I advise either using a pre sieved flour to save time or if your using a stand mixture, taking the bowl off the base and sieving it that way. It's a lot less messy, something you'll be grateful for later. 
5- Beat until everything is combined and you have the makings of cookie dough in your bowl. It may take a few minutes to start looking like something but the patience is worth it. 
6- Add your mini eggs and beat again until combined. I usually start adding it to the mixture with my stand mixer then taking it off the base and giving it a final mix with a silicone spatula so that everything is combined and nothing is left sitting up the sides of the bowl. 
7- Now it comes to making your cookies. You can easily use your hands to roll little balls of dough together but it can be messy and more likely to make a smaller batch of cookies. I like to use a batter scoop to make my cookies, they just come out more even and you'll be able to create a larger batch of cookies as each ball of dough will be the same size. 
8- Bake in the oven for 10-15 mins or until the edges of the cookies are firm to the touch. Don't worry if the centres are still a little wobbly, they'll soon firm up once they're out of the oven. 
9- Leave to cool on the tray for a few minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Allowing them to firm up on the tray means that each cookie is less likely to break when you transfer them to the cooling rack. 
10- Then all that's left to do is enjoy them. I quite like a couple of these with a cuppa whilst I catch up on my social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment