Sunday 20 March 2016

First Impressions: Revlon Ultra HD Matte Lipcolor

When I first heard that Revlon were release a liquid lip colour I was excited. But then there were the less than good reviews of it and my hopes were dashed. However I did what I always do with new release products and ignored the reviews. So today I bring to you my first impressions of the new Revlon Ultra HD Lipcolor.

There are seven shades in all and I picked up the shade Addiction, a beautiful berry shade. But apart from the colour, I'm not very impressed with anything else. Upon opening, the wand is quite hard to remove from the tube and when it does so it leaves quite a lot of product on the rim of the tube instead of on the applicator. And that creates the first major problem with this product. As there isn't a lot of product left on the applicator after your struggle to remove it, it doesn't apply nicely to the lips. Instead of being smooth and opaque, it's quite patchy and the applicator drags along the lips.

 As you can see the applicator is a standard doe foot applicator but unlike others doesn't work well with lips. I don't know if it's the material it's made with or if it's just because of the consistency of the product but it doesn't feel nice against the lips and if you go over lips a second or third time it starts to drag and remove the product. And as it applies in only a thin layer it leaves streaks that you'll have a hard time trying to cover. Once you've dipped you're applicator back into the tube I found it does apply more evenly but you have to make sure everything is even with that first initial swipe.

And then you have the finish. It says on the tube and is advertised a matte finish lipcolor but really it is far from it. Once I finally managed to get it to look even on my lips, I found my lips were left with a glossy finish instead of a matte finish. And it didn't even feel like it was going to dry down on the lips. It felt very slippy on the lips and like it wouldn't last very long if you took a drink or ate something. The known dryness of a matte lipstick is missing from this product and isn't like the standard liquid lipsticks that are so popular these days.

Overall my first impressions of this product are very disappointing. I expected a dry matte formula lipstick that gave a pop of colour and all day wear. What I seem to have brought is a glossy finish lipstick that comes in liquid form that at the very best could dry down to a stain. I am going to try it with a lip liner underneath or pop a matte lipstick on beforehand but already I think that these aren't going to help it at all. If what I've described is something you like in a lipstick then definitely try these out but if you're a matte or liquid lipstick lover then these aren't for you.

Have any of you tried these? Did you like them? Or did you find these as disappointing as I did? Let me know in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment