Wednesday 16 March 2016

Review: MAC Retro Matte Liquid Lipcolour

When I heard that MAC were bringing out liquid lipsticks, I knew I'd at least have to go and swatch them. And swatching them turned into me buying one and immediately feeling guilty on spending so much money on a lipstick I wasn't sure I was going to like. Luckily for me though I wasn't disappointed by this liquid lip colour.

Out of the many shades MAC had to offer, I went for the shade Dance With Me which is a deep almost burgundy red shade. This shade will suit a host of skintones but if you have a fair complexion like me then this would make a stunning stand out shade.

The applicator looks like a standard doe foot applicator but unlike others it has a more of a point at the end. It makes it a lot easier to apply as the point gives the edges a straight line and makes lining your lips easy.  It isn't any wider but application is still easy and one swipe of the wand and lips are covered in a layer of opaque colour.

A little bit of this lipcolour goes a long way but I'd advise dipping your wand back in after you've done either you top or bottom lip as it can go streaky when you go to finish the other one. The formula of these though isn't thick or sticky. It glides onto the lips and dries down quickly, by the time I've finished my top lip, my bottom lip is dry. And once they've dried down there is no budging them.

That's where the problems could start. On first application this dries down to a matte finish that you can feel on your lips but doesn't instantly suck up any moisture on your lips. Yes it does dry lips out the longer you wear it but then that happens with pretty much any liquid lip or matte lip colour you wear. However a couple of times I've worn it, it's started to flake off my lips and ball in the corners of my mouth, and once it even transferred from lips to reveal the skin underneath even though it was completely dry. I guess what I'm trying to say is go careful with this lip colour. Yes it's stunning, it looks nice on and it's long wearing but if there's even the slightest thing wrong with your lips then it's all over. Although this is my only problem with this product and I have to say that I'm impressed, usually I manage to find two or three faults I don't like but this time there's only one and it can be worked around.

Overall I like this product. Sure I don't like it as much as I like the Stila Liquid Lipsticks but if you don't have access to Stila then this is a good alternative. It comes in a range of shades and actually does what it says on the tin so you can't go wrong really. At £21 a pop they are pricey but if you're a fan of high end lipsticks then this is definitely up your street.

Have any of you tried these? What did you think? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment