Thursday 22 June 2017

Let's Talk: Bold Lips

 
Bold lips are one of my favourite make up looks. For me they instantly boost my mood and make me happier and always make the rest of my make up look a little more put together as all the attention is automatically drawn to my lip colour. However there are some of you out there that are a little apprehensive about rocking that bolder lip. And as Summer is well and truly here I thought it would be a brilliant time to share a few tips on how to rock a bold lip and not be worried about what others think.

First things first, don't be scared of bold lips. They're a brilliant way of buying into a trend, trying a new product or just expressing your personality. I personally dived right in at the deep end with bold lips. One day I just purchased a bold red and started wearing it like I had always been wearing it. Sure I was worried about what people would think of it but I found I just didn't care as much as I probably should. And that's because I liked how it looked on me. Now it's my go to bold lip colour and I always recieve so many compliments when I'm wearing one. If you are nervous about trying a bold lip colour for the first time then wear it around the house first. I have several dodgy looking shades that I thought would look good on me but an initial wear around the house and I immediately saw how wrong I'd been. Not only is it a great way to see if a colour suits you but it's also a good way to get used to seeing yourself in a bolder lip colour.

Secondly it may take some time to find a colour that really works for you. I feel quite lucky when it comes to this as I found my colour straight away but it can take time and with other bolder colours such as pinks and oranges I'm still searching for the perfect one. Work with your hair colour and skin tone. Dark hair and fairer skintones will work wonderfully with bright reds, red toned oranges and blue toned pinks. If you have medium skintones or lighter hair there are the more bubblegum pink tones and purples that'll stand out and look gorgeous but won't make you look like a clown.

Thirdly it's all about what your comfortable in. You like a glossy red lip then you rock it. You love a matte pink lip then you rock it. Make up in general is all about what you feel comfortable in and the same stands for bold lips. If you find a colour that your comfortable in wearing then wear it. Don't let what anyone else thinks of it change your mind. You feel comfortable and happy with your appearence, then you do you boo. If you wear a colour you don't feel comfortable in then don't wear, no matter what the trends say or your friends. Find a colour you feel comfortable and confident in and rock it like the badass you are.

Now I've shared my tips for rocking a bold lip and feeling comfortable wearing one I thought I'd share with you some of my favourite bold lips shades including a few neutrals that aren't in your face but still make a statement.

Reds
There are so many reds that I could have featured in this section. Blue toned reds are always the way to go if you're uncertain on what shade will suit you. Not only are they a beautiful shade but they suit a multitude of skintones and always appear to make skin look flawless and teeth whiter. Matte finishes are the best when it comes to red shades as they really make them pop as well as lasting a lot longer on the lips. Some of my favourites include Kat Von D's Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Outlaw, NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Amsterdam and Rosie For Autograph in Vintage Rouge. All of these colours and the others featured are perfect to wear all year round as they're ultra bold and become the talking point of any look. Of course the liquid lipsticks are a bit more tricky to wear as they are a drier matte finish but the NYX and Rosie For Autograph are a lot easier to wear and the ones I'd recommend if you're just dipping your toe into red lips.

Pinks
Bold pink lips are a bit harder and are a shade I'm still working on. However I have four lip products that I absolutely adore and wear with confidence. Revlon's Colorburst Matte Balm in Showy and Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in Pink Pong are both vibrant blue toned pinks that work a lot like blue toned reds and help perfect the look of skin and make teeth look whiter. However if these aren't for you or you are looking for a less bold option, Smashbox's Be Legendary Matte Lipstick in Punch Drunk or Rosie For Autograph in Rosie Lips are more raspberry toned but a little less in your face. Rosie Lips is a personal favourite of mine and I find myself reaching for it a lot more than any other pink shade I own.

Nudes
Now a nude lip may not sound very bold but there are some nudes that stand out more than others and are a brilliant way to dip your toe into a bolder looking lip without diving in at the deep end. The NYX Lingerie Liquid Lipsticks are a brilliant example of this. Every shade is a variation of a nude and there is one out there for everyone. I have the shade Exotic which veers more towards a peachy orange tone and whilst it looks like it wouldn't work in the tube, it looks amazing on the lips. Barry M's Matte Me Up Lip Kits are another brilliant set of nudes. They look nice and neutral in the tube but dry down to a gorgeous darker shade that really stands out on the lips but won't instantly draw people's attention like a red or pink would. A safer option but will still get you compliments is the Rosie For Autograph Lipstick in Silk Rose. It's more brown in tone but isn't too in your face and can be worn fully opaque or as a stain. And the same stands for the Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Sultry. Worn either completely opaque on the lips or smudged in like a stain this will guarantee you a compliment or two but won't make it obvious you're trying out a bolder lip than usual.

So that's it for my Let's Talk: Bold Lips. I hope this helped some of you take that step out of your comfort zone and try that stunning bold lip that you've had your eye on for a while. And if you're already a bold lip lover I hope this has just helped to keep that confidence which helps you don a bold lip whenever you feel like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment