Monday 11 September 2017

Review: PS Matte Lip Kit

I'm a big fan of a matte lip product, especially those that come in a kit with a matching liner and with brands all bringing out their versions of Lip Kits I'm in my element. Barry M do fantastic Lip Kits in a variety of shades but apart from them there aren't many more on the market, espcially ones that catch my eye. And when I noticed that Primark had released their own version of a matte lip kit I just had to pick one up.

The Lip Kit that costs £3 consists of a lip liner and a matching liquid lipstick. Now I don't know the colour of this as it I've thrown away the packaging and there isn't a shade name on either the lip liner or liquid lipstick. What I can tell you is that it's a stunning berry purple shade that on fairer tones is going to pop and be a vivid berry shade whereas on darker skin tones will be a more muted yet still bold purple shade. The lip liner is unsurprisingly creamy like the other liners that Primark sell and just glides along the lips, leaving behind a highly pigmented colour. It doesn't drag or scratch at that the lips when you apply it and you can easily fill in the entire lip with it. It can be slightly drying if worn on it's own but a little lip balm underneath soon remedies that.

The liquid lipstick is thin and lightweight in consistency. It applies opaque in one coat but does have a tendency to dry down a little streaky. That can of course be remedied by applying another coat but then there's the risk it's going to dry and look even more uneven or it'll start to crack or peel away from the lips. That's why I advise using the lip liner all over instead of just outlining the lips with it, it helps give an even colour all over. The doe foot applicator is standard size and has just enough flexibility to glide almost effortlessly over the lips. It takes slightly longer than normal to dry down and even when it's completely dried down it has a slight tackiness to it that could possibly lead to it peeling away over time, especially if you eat or drink.

I've worn this quite a lot to really give it a fair test. I've tried it just outlining the lips with the liner, filling in my entire lip with the liner and even just the liquid lipstick on it's own and everytime I've needed to go in with a moisturising lipstick over top to even it out and to make it more comfortable to wear. The slightly tackiness to it means it wears from the inner corners of the lips quicker and leaves a slight uneven finish to the lips. It did become slightly drying and uncomfortable after a few hours and I was grateful to take it off when I could. Which is very disappointing because the concept and the shade of this product are both very promising. However there is something just lacking in the formula which makes it harder work than it should be. If I were you I'd spend a bit more and buy one of the Barry M Matte Me Up Lip Kits, they're lightweight, comfortable and you'll forget you're even wearing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment