Thursday 19 October 2017

Top Tips For Hormonal Skin

Today's post isn't what I originally scheduled for today but I couldn't just get this subject off my mind. Hormonal skin is a pain in the ass. It messes with our routines, knocks our confidence and makes us lose our spark. I should know as I've been in a constant battle with my skin for the last few days, yet today as I write this, I've had a breakthrough and thought I'd share a few tips to help anyone who is struggling with hormonal skin.

Now everyone's skin reacts differently around that time of the month. For some their skin may become more reactive to products they've used for an age, whilst others could find that their skin becomes oilier the closer to their period they get. For me my skin get oilier, my pores become more visible and I'm more likely to have a cluster of break outs around my mouth and chin.

Some people instead of getting oilier go in the complete opposite direction and become dry and rough to the touch. And that's where a good acid based toner or skin treatment comes in. Now I personally use a acid based toner once a day, my skin loves them. And I find they work even better when it's coming up to that time of the month. And if you suffer from excess amounts of texture during the build up to your period or during it, then these two products are perfect for you. Alpha H's Liquid Gold and Pixi's Glow Tonic are both 5% Glycolic Acid solutions that weaken and remove dead skin cell, effectively reducing and retexturising skin's feel as well as it's radiance. Glow Tonic can be used everyday after a morning cleanse, make up removal or evening cleanse whereas the Liquid Gold is more suited as a twice a week treatment, mainly in the evenings so your skin benefits more from it.

Now I've found through talking to customers, friends and family that no matter what your skin does during that time of the month, it always needs soothing. Skin is such a fickle thing and can flare up at any time, no matter what time of the month it is but generally it always becomes more irritable and fickle around your period. And that's where this two products come in, in my routine. The Botanics Roswater Toning Spritz is the perfect toning mist to soothe and replenish skin. It's lightweight so it's not going to clog pores and it absorbs quickly and easily into the skin so it's not going to create excess sebum and make you look oilier than you may be. It's also brilliant at reducing redness which will not only make applying the rest of your skincare a dream but also make up and will give you a confidence boost. The B Essence Lotion does exactly the same as the Rosewater Spritz but it's also great at reducing the appearence of blemishes, including any redness that may be surronding it. It's lightweight enough to be layered underneath the rest of your skincare and whilst it's working to soothe skin and fight blemishes, it's also giving skin a deeper burst of hydration that'll last longer and leave skin feeling softer for longer. I really enjoying layering it under a sheet mask so it absorbs some of the product on the mask and allows it to work longer on the skin.

Masks are a god send for hormonal skin. There is one out there for everyone and I've got three that I think have really helped me with my skin. The first is a brand new mask that I tried today and for the purpose of this post. The B, B Detoxed Clay Face Mask is a charcoal based clay mask that works to open pores and pull any blemishes and crap out. It's also aims to reduce both the size and appearence of any exsisting blemishes. I've had two spots that just won't bugger off and they've been driving me crazy. And their both to do with hormones. So today I slathered myself in this and I'm so glad I did. After the allotted fifteen minutes, after I'd rinsed it, both blemishes looked reduced in size and looked less inflamed and visible on my skin. They're still not completely gone but this has really helped them on their way out. It's not just this mask that's good for it, any charcoal based mask will work wonders, especially if your skin is feeling a big clogged up and in need of a detox.

The second is a skin saviour. As I said, my skin tends to get oilier during my period and it drives me wild. On the off chance I tried the Soap and Glory Fab Pore Sheet Mask. It's aimed at combination/oily skins and contains Witch Hazel and Tea Tree to mattify and reduce the appearence and production of excess sebum. And it worked wonders, my skin felt less oily, looked more like it would normally and the combination of ingredients closed any open pores I had. It's a sheet mask so it's a lot less fuss than your standard mask and can be worn whilst you're watching TV so they're a great choice for giving your skin a bit of TLC.

And the last mask is from GlamGlow. Their Thirstymud mask is the perfect hydration boost for skin without having to wash it off or walk around with a bit of wet tissue stuck to your face. I can never remember what's in this mask but applying this leave on mask feels like you've splashed your face with water. It can be used as a night moisturiser or just as a pick me up throughout the day but no matter what, skin will hydrated from deep within and will have a radiance that'll definitely boost your confidence. Plus it smells like an exotic holiday and can deny that doesn't give them a boost.

Under eye patches are a necessity during the lead up to your period. Crying. That's all I'm going to say. A lot of people get emotional and have a good cry during the lead up to their periods. I'm the worst, the slightest thing and I'm crying like a baby. And that's where under eye patches come in. Not only do they hydrate the under area and help with the appearence of dark circles (lack of sleep, another thing to thank your hormones for) but they also reduce puffiness, especially if you've had a good cry. My favourites are the Rodial Dragon's Blood Under Eye Patches but I had none in the house so I went with my second favourite which comes from Soap and Glory. Their Puffy Eye Attack Hydrogel Patches work wonders at cooling, soothing and reducing puffiness from the under eye area. Because of the material they're made of they don't flap, fall off or become a general pain in the ass when you wear them. I love popping a pair on in the morning, especially if I've had a good cry the night before and let them work their magic. Concealer and any other make up I apply over top always applies better after using these and I always make sure to have two or three packs in the house at all times.

Now the last tip isn't skincare related but it is make up related. I know it may seem tempting to slap on the highest coverage foundation you have when you're skin is feeling crap and all you want to do is eat all the junk. But in fact that will actually make skin worse, especially in the long run. Trust me I know it seems daunting to go nowhere near a full coverage foundation when your skin is looking it's best but your skin will thank you in the end. Lightweight coverages that can be built with light layers are the better way to go. Cushion foundations and BB Creams are a good way of covering any imperfections you may not want the world to see, not only because they provide coverage but they also allow your skin to breathe. One of my favourite light coverages is the Rosie For Autograph Sheer Finish Complexion Enhancer. It's got the coverage of a lightweight foundation but feels like a BB Cream on the skin. It covers what I want it to cover but still allows my skin to look and feel like skin. It's a favourite of mine both during hormonal times and the rest of the month.

Cushion foundations are another option if you want coverage but don't want to overload skin. Maybelline's Dream Cushion foundation is a brilliant option. Not only is it travel friendly, easy to do touch ups with but it's lightweight, a buildable medium coverage that allows skin to breathe and it won't cling to any imperfections that you'd like to minimise. I tend to go for this when my skin's at it's worst, otherwise I reach for my Rosie For Autograph to do what I need it to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment