Monday 30 October 2017

GRWM: Halloween Daytime Appropriate Look

Happy Halloween! Today's post was supposed to be an easy Jack Skellington look but because of some skin issues I've been having over the last few weeks I've had to change this post. So today I'm showing you my take on a daytime appropriate Halloween themed look that I'll be rocking alongside my favourite Halloween t-shirt.

Once all of my skincare is done, I've brush my teeth and dampened my beauty blender, I start of with primer. I'm going to point out now that this look is not going to be groundbreaking but I think it is a good look for daytime on Halloween. For primer I'm going in with my usual go to combination of the Barry M Hydro Fix Primer Water, followed by the Maybelline SuperStay Primer. I love the combination because it hydrates my skin whilst simultaneously preparing it for make up. The SuperStay has a somewhat tacky finish which means that my foundation of choice adheres to my skin for a longer period of time without being heavy or pore clogging.

Before I go in with my foundation I'm going to try and conceal some of my sore, inflamed looking blemishes. The best thing I've used for this lately is the Collection Lasting Perfection Colour Concealer in Green. I dab this around the blemishes and around any other redness I have before blending it in with a clean finger. I find a finger is the best tool to blend this in with as it seems to melt the product and blends it seamlessly into the skin. It does leave behind a slight green hue but foundation, concealer or powder will cover that.

Foundation time and I have two choices for base. The first is the only I actually used and the other is the one I'd have used if my skin was in a better place. The foundation I went with was the Maxfactor Facefinity Foundation. It's lightweight on the skin but gives good coverage and can last all day long. A couple of pumps of this is enough to cover my face without it looking like a mask or cake face. I use my damp beauty blender to blend this all in, I love how a beauty blender makes my foundation looks, I can't believe how long I waited before trying it. The foundation I would have preferred to have used is the Loreal Total Cover Foundation. It has a brillaint coverage but doesn't weight skin down and still let's it breathe. It's my go to foundation when I want my make up to last all day but because of it's matte finish and my horrendous blemishes I'm giving it a miss. Nobody likes to see foundation clinging grossly to a spot.

For concealer it's my normal duo, the Maybelline The Eraser Eye to conceal my dark circles whilst I dot Collection's Lasting Perfection Concealer in 01 Fair to cover any excess redness or blemishes. I find I don't need a lot of either once I've applied my foundation but I still need a little something under my eyes. I love the sponge applicator on the Eraser Eye as it distributes just the right amount of product where you want it. Today I've applied the Eraser Eye over what's visible of my dark circles and the Lasting Perfection I've popped over where I applied the colour corrector to make sure no green tinge can be seen. It's also applied over any redness I have and everything is blended in with a damp beauty blender.

I used the MUA Transparent Setting Powder to set everything in place. For under the eyes I used the Real Techniques Setting Brush and using a tip I saw in a Lisa Eldridge video, applied it under the eye to set concealer except for in the very inner corner. It helps the inner corner from looking dry or powdery as the day goes on and the rest of you concealer is still set in place. For the rest of my face I used the B Powder Brush to dust it along my forehead and along the sides of my face. I never take powder into the centre of my face as I find it doesn't help prolong my make up and just gathers together to make my skin look really powdery. Instead I rely on a setting spray to set that part of my make up into place.

The tint on my brows is starting to wear off so I went in with a little bit of Benefit's Gimme Brow to add a little colour to my brows. I like how small and precise the brush is, compared to other brow gels I've tried.

I really wanted my lashes to stand out so I after I curled them I went in with my Maybelline Lash Sensationl Lash Primer. I like how this nourishes my lashes whilst I wear it whilst also helping keeping the curl and definiton at the same time. A coat of that was followed by a healthy dose of Benefit's Roller Lash Mascara. I love the brush on Roller Lash, it coats every lash, even the tiny ones in the inner corner that a lot of other mascaras don't. I was going to add liner to this look, along the water line but when I tried it at the weekend it went tits up. I think I'm coming down with a cold and have been sneezing so much which causes my eyes to stream and I know you can all imagine what liner would look like after that. However if you don't have watery eyes like I do, liner would also give this look a darker, more gothic theme especially if you went it a dark purple or burgundy shade instead of your usualy black.

For lips I couldn't decide what colour I wanted to go for. There were three colours that really stood out to me so I decided to share all three with you. The first is this Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in, I've never worn this shade before but couldn't help but reach for it this Halloween. I wore this with the look at the weekend and adored it. It has a brighter purple tone than I'd normally wear but it worked well with my pale complexion, dark hair and all black uniform. It made everything pop and whilst it did fade over time, I forgot I had it on as it was that comfortable. I paired it with this deep purple liner from PS... to keep everything look defined as well as to give it that extra pop.

The next lip look that would work well with this look is an all time favourite of mine and it was the first that popped into my head when I was putting this GRWM together in my head. The Smashbox Always On Liquid Lipstick in Out Loud has been one of my go to shades this Autumn. It's deep pumpkin orange shade has not only made me long for Halloween but has reminded me of everything that Autumn embodies. Paired again with another PS... lip liner, this is a real stand out lip, a great alternative to a red. It's lightweight formula will make you forget you're wearing it but if lips aren't in a great condition to begin with then it could feel slightly dry and uncomfortable after a while.

And the last lip look is more centered around the liner more than anything. Another PS... liner, this time in a deep burgundy shade would look stunning on it's own but could also be paired with it's matching PS.. Velvet Matte Crayon or the New Look Pure Colour Liquid Lipstick in Burgundy. Both are matte so it's always a good idea to prep lips beforehand. The liquid lipstick can be a bit harder to work with and could go streaky if too much is applied in one area but a little patience and it does create a stuning look. The Velvet Matte Lip Crayon isn't as hard work but once the nib dulls it can create feathering around the edges of lips so it's always wise to back around with the lip liner once you're happy with the shape of it. I think it's a toss up between these and the Smashbox if I recreate this look again tomorrow (Tuesday).

Once the lips were done I went in with my setting spray of choice. It was a toss up between the Maybelline SuperStay Setting Spray or this one the Collection Primed and Ready Fixing Mist. In the end I went with the Collection as I prefer the finish it gives with this foundation. I generously spritzed my face, giving it a few seconds to set before moving, just in case it disrupted any of my make up. Then it was onto my hair and I threw it up into my usual messy bun, this time making sure it looked a little messier than normal. I don't usually like my hair looking like that but I think it suited this look well.

Time to get dressed and I've been dying to wear this t-shirt since it arrived through my letterbox last week. It's from Boohoo and when I saw it, I just had to get it. I love the cheeky side to it, having seen a lot of these kinds of shirts in the past. I'm a larger chested girl so it makes it slightly more obvious and makes the cheeky side just that little bit cheekier. And my favourite part is that it's a great quality t-shirt and it only cost me a tenner. I'm pairing with my favourite black super high waisted skinny jeans from Primark. I brought them in a shorter leg length recently and I've been really enjoying how they've elongated my leg and made me look a little more slimline than I usually feel.

And to finish my outfit off I paired it all with these Givenchy inspired boots from Primark. Back when I brought these in August (yes August), they were totally out of my comfort zone. But now they're the only boot I wear and I love pairing them with oversized jumpers. They super comfy and I can easily wear them for hours out and about. I can't wear a proper sock with them but a cute little footlet is just enough so that you don't ruin the inside with your enevitably sweaty feet. One look at these and you wouldn't be able to tell they were only £16.

Bag packed, lipstick on teeth check (thankfully none) and I'm ready to go. I can't leave without perfume though so I of course reached for my one and only at the moment. The Rosie For Autograph Rose Gold EDP is my go to fragrance of the moment. It's like a gorgeous combination of her three permanent fragrances with added notes of freesia and bergamot. It's light enough for daytime but can transition you through to evening, it's lasting power making sure you smell fresh all day long. Once I've doused myself in this I'm ready to go and spend some hard earned cash. All that leaves me to say is I hope you all have a great Halloween and once that clock hits midnight tonight, let the countdown to Christmas begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment