Sunday 1 January 2017

2016 Beauty Favourites: Make Up

Welcome to the first of three 2016 Beauty Favourites. This year I've decided I would split my yearly favourites up into three posts. Today we're starting with my make up favourites, Wednesday I'll be talking skincare favourites and Friday I'll be talking all things non-beauty related.

Primer: There's only been one primer this year that has thoroughly impressed me. And that is the Benefit Porefessional Primer. It has a that silicone feel to it but isn't overly slippy or hard to work with. It not only helps keep make up in place longer but also helps the look of pores and smooths over any enlarged or open pores you may have. Applying foundation over this is a dream and I've loved wearing this during the hotter months when my face has really needed a primer.

Foundation: There have been two foundations this year that have really stuck out for me. The first being the Loreal Cushion Foundation. It was the perfect breathable lightweight coverage my skin needed through Summer and whilst it wasn' full coverage it still gave my skin a flawless yet natural look. And towards the end of the year I discovered the Dior Star Foundation. This is more a medium to full coverage foundation and was brilliant at covering up my redness. It's the only foundation I've ever tried that still applies brilliantly everytime I wear it.

Concealer: Concealer wise there have only been two I've found myself reaching for religiously. The first is the Maybelline The Eraser Eye. There's just something about how this applies and blends out that I love. It covers my dark circles brilliantly no matter how bad they look. And the same can be said for the Rosie For Autograph Miracle Concealer. It's less creamy than the Maybelline but still gives the same coverage and finish. However the Maybelline has the sponge tip applicator which just gives it that at extra something about it.

Powder: There's only been one powder this year that I've truly enjoyed using. It's the Collection Pressed Powder. It's cheap, it's easy to get ahold of and it doesn't leave skin looking cakey or powdery. I have the shade Ivory and I absolutely love it. It's very finely milled so it works well both under the eyes and over the rest of the face. And because it comes in Ivory, it doesn't oxidies on the skin and turn me orange after a few hours.

Brows: Brows have been a big thing this year and I've tried quite a few different products but there has only been one that I've been impressed with. And it comes from Rosie For Autograph. Her brow pencil is soft enough to give brows a natural look but not soft enough for it to disappear or smudge easily. I like that it comes with a spoolie so I don't have to keep reaching for a seperate spoolie when I'm in a rush. Plus it's colour match is perfect and doesn't make my brows look like they've been filled in.

Mascara: I can never stay loyal to a mascara, most lost my interest pretty quickly but the one who I've reached for most this year is the Loreal Miss Hippie Mascara. It has one massive bristle brush that looks like it would leave lashes looking clumpy and fake but in reality gives a stunning fanned out, volumised look that makes my eyes look bigger and more awake. I like the fact that I can go in and add more coats if I think I need it and the mascara won't become clumpy or flaky to the touch.

Lip Liner: I have stacks of lip liners in my collection but I've only found myself reaching for a select few. From that select few I've noticed that one in particular is used most than others. And that liner comes from Primark's PS Love range. It's in the shade 03 and is a bright red shade. It works beautifully under a variety of red lipsticks as well as on it's own. Over the last month this has been the only lip liner I've reached for when I've been doing my lipstick, there really isn't a red lip that this doesn't work well under.

Lipstick: Lipsticks is always a hard category to narrow down but I've managed to choose four favourites. Two of them come from the Rosie For Autograph range. Lady Rose and Silk Rose are both beautiful neutral shades that look good with any look, any outfit and any skintone. They are a sheen finish lipstick but they don't budge or dry the lips out. They're probably my most worn lipsticks of all time. I also found myself reaching a lot for the Maybelline Matte Lipstick in Burgundy Blush. It's the most stunning shade for the colder months and unlike some matte lipsticks it's not drying or uncomfortable to wear. Definitely one of my favourite budget lipsticks about.

Liquid Lipstick: Liquid Lipsticks have been massive this year and each brand is slowly bringing out their own version. There were a few that were really disappointing but there was also a few that really impressed. The first two come from Stila and basically raised the bar for any liquid lipstick afterwards. Sure these are a little uncomfortable to wear but the high pigmented colour, opacity and longevity is enough to make me look past it. The shades Beso and Ricco have been my favourites and I've lost count of how many times I've worn these shades. A recent addition to my collection which has raised the bar even further is the Kat Von D liquid lipstick in Outlaw. It's non drying, long wearing, highly pigment and transfer proof. I could even eat a greasy burger and not have to worry about reapplying afterwards. Made a lot of those Christmas nights out a dream as I didn't have to worry about my lipstick.

Setting Spray: There has only been one setting spray that I've reached for this year. And it comes from Maybelline. It's Superstay 24 Setting Spray is amazing. It sets make up, takes away any cake face or powdery looks and keeps skin feeling hydrated even hours after intial application. It does require shaking before use but that doesn't effect the wear of this product too much and it doesn't effect how long your make up lasts either. I've gone through quite a few bottles of this this year and I can safely say next year will see me go through even more bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment