Tuesday 30 August 2016

Top Tips For Wearing Matte Lips

If you've been reading my blog for a while now then you'll know I'm a big fan of matte lips. They allow bolder colours to look brilliant both during the day and the evening, plus they're drier formula and tendency to stay in place means they're perfect for us slightly lazier beauty girls. However matte lips can be very unforgiven and hard on our lips. So today I thought I'd share with you my top tips for wearing a matte lip.

The first and most important tip may seem obvious but can make really make a difference. And that is to wear lip balm anytime you're not wearing a lipstick, liquid lip or any other lip product. Yes it's obvious but there have been times when I've forgotten and it's really made me rethink my lipstick for the day or two ahead. Lip balm helps smooth out lip texture and keeps lips from becoming flaky, cracked and dry. All three of these things can make or break a matte lip and even if you manage to pull off a matte lip it's only going to get worse as the day goes on. A balm like Carmex is perfect for keeping lips soft and hydrated. It leaves lips with a slight tingle after application which helps plump up lips slightly and make sure they're well hydrated. Petroleum based lip balms are more of a no no as they can just sit on the lips instead of sinking in and reviving lips. I advise always making sure to put a generous layer of lip balm on before bed. It'll stop lips getting dry and when you wake up in the morning there will still be a thin layer hydrating lips before you put on your lip product of choice.

My second tip is to exfoliate lips. It not only helps the way lipsticks apply but it removes any flaky or dry patches on the lips. Some brands have their own lip exfoliators and my favourites are the ones from Lush and The Body Shop. The scrub from The Body Shop is my preferred product of the two as it comes shaped like a lipstick and is easier to work with. However both work to remove dry patches and smooth out lips so they look and feel softer. If you don't want to buy a lip scrub you can always make one at home. Taking any kind of sugar and either honey or oil, mix them together in a bowl until it's stuck together. Then it's as simple as rubbing it over your lips until they look smoother, plus if you use honey it won't taste as bad as some shop brought scrubs. Exfoliating the lips is something you should only do once a week or if you have a big occasion coming up. I tend to exfoliate my lips when I have a day/night out with the girls so my lipsticks lasts longer and looks smoother on the lips.

 Another brilliant way to make sure your matte lips looks as good as it can do is a lip liner. Not only do they help adhere the lip product to the lips but it stops them from feathering, bleeding and gives a neater edge and finish. I have a whole array of lip liners ranging from nudes to red to dark burgundy shades. I love using these with matte lip products as it just helps application and gives the edges a crispness that using the product on it's own sometimes lacks.

And my last tip is to not over layer your matte lip products. Sure it's easy to apply layer upon layer of colour but really it's not good for either your lips or your look. Layering matte lip products, especially liquid lipsticks just make them go cakey or make them crack on the lips. It means they're more likely to flake away and leave you with uneven, patchy lips. Thin layers are okay but never thick goopey layers that look and feel over the top. If you don't know when too much is enough, take a look in the mirror. If your lipstick/lip product looks cakey or is cracking then that's when it's a bit too much. And of course once you've hit that point there is no way to undo it apart from taking it all off and starting again.

If you're a fan of liquid lipsticks but don't know which ones are the best for high pigment colour that require little to no effort here's my top three. MAC's Retro Matte Liquid Lip Colour in Dance With Me. It's a deep red shade that only requires one coat and dries down to a comfortable but long lasting finish. The same goes for Stila's Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Beso. This is my personal favourite as it's that shade of red that you can wear all year round and with any look. Then there are the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams. These are a lot thinner in consistency than most liquid lipsticks and a lot more comfortable to wear without budging. There are so many shades, I couldn't possibly name my favourite. However if you're not a fan of liquid lipsticks then try Urban Decay's Matte Revolution Lipstick in Bad Blood. Highly pigmented, opaque in one swipe, comfortable to wear and long lasting. And if red's not your shade then Revlon's Colorburst Balm in Sultry is a perfect neutral shade for a multitude of skintones. Easy to apply, non drying and long lasting, this is definitely a lot higher quality than it's £8 budget.

So that's it for my matte lips tips. Do you have any I've missed? Or do you have a matte lip product recommendation? Let me know in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment