Sunday 2 December 2018

Five Favourite Christmas Films

My favourite part of the build up to Christmas by far is the amount of Christmas movies there are to watch. I have a decent sized pile with more on order from Amazon and there's nothing better than at the end of a long day than going home, taking your make up off, popping your pjs on, brewing a cuppa and snuggling down to watch a Christmas film or two. And today I'm sharing with you my five favourite Christmas films that never fail to get me in the Christmas spirit. You may notice that Nightmare Before Christmas isn't one of the five and that's not because I don't love the film, I do, but because I wasn't sure if it could be classed as a Christmas film even though it's in the results when you search Christmas films on Google.

The Santa Clause (1994)
The Santa Clause is an old school Disney movie. I remember watching it when I was only little but didn't rewatch it or any of it's sequels until last year. And I honestly don't know why it took me so long to watch it again. It's an amazing film that makes me feel nostalgic for my childhood yet still makes my adult self excited for Christmas. This was one of Disney's best original films next to Halloweentown and I can already see myself watching this more than once before Christmas. 

 The Polar Express (2004)
Oh how I love you Polar Express. It's the all singing, all dancing, instant feel good Christmas movie. Tom Hanks is amazing as the Train Conductor, the kids are adorable and it's plot never fails to get me in that festive mood. I like to have this ready to watch when I'm wrapping presents alongside The Grinch and Muppet Christmas Carol as it makes me feel the most Christmassy and whilst it takes me double the time to actually wrap my presents, I can't help but feel my inner child get even more excited for Christmas. If you haven't seen it don't worry, it's shown pretty reguarly on TV over the festive period. 

 Arthur Christmas (2011)
Arthur Christmas is one I only discovered a few years ago but instantly fell in love with. Arthur Christmas isn't your normal Christmas film. It doesn't depict children staying up late to see the legendary Father Christmas but of the work that Father Christmas and his elves put into making Christmas perfect for the millions of children in the world whilst also enjoying Christmas with his own family. It's hilarious, slightly dsyfunctional and has a couple of more grown up jokes that will make you laugh. Again this is one I could happily watch on repeat, especially if I've had a bad day or if I'm feeling a little down in the dumps. 

 The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)
It isn't Christmas in our house until me and mum have curled up under blankets with a cuppa and watched Muppet Christmas Carol together. It's one our all time favourites and we can't resist singing the songs, repeating the lines or impersonating the Muppets. My mum is dying to watch this already and as I write this, I can totally understand the urge to watch this. I am however holding off until December to watch any of these as I don't want to lose that Christmas spirit to early. If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend you do, not only will you discover a family favourite but you'll also get to see Kermit, Miss Piggy and Michael Caine all singing in the same film, something that is extremely unlikely to happen ever again. 

 How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
The Grinch is my all time favourite Christmas movie. I will never get bored of watching it on repeat throughout December. Hell, I even watch it throughout the year when I've had a bad day or I'm going through a bad patch. Jim Carrey will forever be the best Grinch no matter how many versions they release.He makes the humourous moments even funnier, something as I've gotten older I've started to relate more to the Grinch which for me just makes Carrey's dry humour approach even funnier. It never fails to put me in a good mood and I can tell you now this will be my most watched Christmas film of the year even though I have a ton more waiting to be watched. 

No comments:

Post a Comment