Wednesday 5 December 2018

Recipe: Chocolate Chip Shortbread Bites

I absolutely love shortbread and can happily devour packet after packet. However I tend to associate shortbread with Christmas so only ever find myself making it as the festive period looms. Originally this was going to be a chocolate chip shortbread recipe that were all festive shaped but my cutters weren't playing well so I had to quickly rethink it. So I went with mini shortbread bits that melt in the mouth with the added sweetness of the chocolate chips. I made these on Sunday, am writing this on Tuesday and there are none left. They've all gone and I made a big batch.

Ingredients 
115g Butter
55g Caster Sugar
A Pinch Of Salt
100g Chocolate Chips
175g Plain Flour

Method 
1- Pre heat oven to 180C. Line a large baking tray or two small baking trays with baking parchment.
2- In a bowl place your flour, sugar and salt.
3- Add the butter and rub in with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
4- Add you chocolate chips into the mix. You could a do a mixture of both white and milk but I went with just milk chocolate so it didn't take away from the shortbreads taste.
5- Keep rubbing together until it starts to form a dough. Add a little water if necessary to get the dough to stick together. Don't overwork the dough though, you want it still have that slight crumbliness to it that makes the shortbread that little softer in texture.
6- Once you have your dough, place on a lightly floured surface and roll out until a 1/2inch thick. Make sure you keep your rolling pin floured as the dough may stick to it once you've rolled it a few times.
7- Taking a cutter; size of your choice, cut out as many shapes as you can from the dough. I went with a small cutter so I got more out of the dough. It gave me these adorable little bite size shortbreads that melted in the mouth and left you craving more.
8- Once you've filled your baking tray/s place them in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the edges are golden and the middles still a little soft. They'll soon firm up as they cool but you don't want to leave them in too long otherwise they'll catch and burn.
9- When they're cooked leave to cool on the tray for a few minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Or you could wait a few minutes and taste test one for yourself like I did.
10- All that's left then is to enjoy them. And trust me when I say one won't be enough and before you know it, you're entire batch will be gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment