Tuesday 11 December 2018

Five Favourite Christmas Songs

 
 As soon as I saw this GIF, I knew I just had to use it in this post. One of my favourite parts of Christmas is the songs. Except when your work keeps playing the same five songs on loop from the first of November until the big wigs say we can play them all. I do love a good Christmas song and sometimes think I'm the only one when I'm at work as nobody else is belting out the likes of Wizzard, Slade, Buble and the queen of Christmas Mariah Carey. So today I thought I'd share with you five of my favourite Christmas songs. And to say picking out just five was ridiculously hard and I had to reschedule this post several times as I just couldn't decide.

All I Want For Christmas Is You- Mariah Carey 
It isn't Christmas until you've heard Mariah's iconic Christmas number. There's something about the opening of this song that never fails to send a shiver of childlike excitment down my spine. Not only because it's a fantastic song that millions of us butcher every year but also because it means that it's just that little bit closer to Christmas. I always play this before any other song when I've got Christmas songs on as it really gets me in that festive mood and I always like the challenge of hitting that end high note (I never do).

 Step Into Christmas- Elton John
I love Elton John. His music is timeless and this song is no different. I honestly don't know what it is about Step Into Christmas I love so much but it's been one of my all time favourites since I was little. I think it's, it's more upbeat melody that I love so much. A lot of the classic Christmas songs are quite slow and meaningful whereas this one is lively and a little bit out there, a bit like Elton John himself. I quite literally drop tools when this song comes on and I won't start whatever I'm doing until it's finished.

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas- Michael Buble
When you hear Buble crooning about Santa, you know it's Christmas. I'm a massive Buble fan anyway but his Christmas album is possibly my favourite thing he's ever done. The beginning of this song reminds me of the big in Nightmare Before Christmas as Jack travels to Christmas Town but then Buble starts singing and it sends a shiver down my spine. Buble has an old school voice which could sing the English Oxford Dictionary to me and I'd still enjoy it. This is just one of many amazing songs from his Christmas album.


Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree- Mel and Kim
Again this is a song that I can't quite put my finger on why I like it but it's my preferred version of this festive classic. Sure I like the original Brenda Lee version but I think it's the slight pop twist that really catches me with this song. I also love the video that goes alongside this one, it's just reminds me of Christmas' as a kid.


Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
When picking the songs for this list, I tried my hardest not to repeat the artist but I absolutely adore this song from Mariah Carey and it's actually one of my most played in my Christmas playlist on Spotify. This starts slow but builds and whilst it's a short song, it really gets you excited as well as belting out the lyrics (completely forgetting where you are). I very nearly forgot to add this to my playlist as I always get this and her rendition of Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town mixed up but as soon as I heard it on the Asda Christmas, I remembered and added it straight away.

Please Come Home For Christmas- Jon Bon Jovi
This is an honourable mention as it came on whilst I was writing this and I instantly facepalmed. How could I forget about Jon Bon Jovi's belter that I could listen to for hours. I think it's the opening and Bon Jovi's voice that sell this song to me. It's instantly recognisable, I can hear it muffled in a shopping centre and still recognise it. I have to admit that I do have a tendency to listen to this sporadically throughout the year as I just love it that much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment