Monday 10 December 2018

Five Festive Book Recommendations

Happy Monday. I'm a massive bookworm, always have been since I was a little girl. And over the last few years I've really enjoyed burying myself in a good Christmas read or two. This year is no different and I've spent hours pouring over tons of different Christmas novels to find the ones that met the criteria I was looking for. And today I'm sharing with you five recommendations of books that I've read previously aswell as a couple of new ones that I've discovered recently.

A Christmas Carol- Charles Dickens 
There aren't many people who don't know the story of A Christmas Carol. It's one of the more popular classics that's been retold throughout different media types for years. Following the story of Ebeneezer Scrooge, A Christmas Carol tells the tale of redemption, hope and love that changed a cruel, bitter man into a man who saw the good in others and took the time to redeem himself in the eyes of his peers. I absolutely adore this book as well as many of the film adaptations and always find myself digging this out at Christmas time.

The Chocolate Lovers' Christmas- Carole Matthews
Another book I like to read every Christmas comes from Carole Matthews. Her Chocolate Lovers' series is one of my favourite of all time and this Christmas addition fits so well into the series. Focused on the four main characters from the first two books, this novel follows them as they all deal with their own personal issues whilst trying to keep their friendships in tact and keeping the stresses of Christmas to a minimum. It's light hearted whilst also dealing with relatable issues that anyone male or female can relate to. I get this out to reread every Christmas and this year is no different.

Christmas At The Little Beach Street Bakery- Jenny Colgan
I adore Jenny Colgan. She's written a few of my favourite books and whilst I haven't read this one yet, it's next on my to read pile. From reading the blurb and a couple of pages this is going to be very light hearted and easy read that won't have a really dramatic storyline, just a couple of bumps in the road that will be easily resolved by the end of it. I'm currently halfway through my next book but this one is right on top of the pile for me to read.

The Christmas Stocking And Other Stories- Katie Fforde
The book I'm currently reading is from one of my other favourite authors. Katie Fforde has written in some of my favourites and this Christmas collection is set to be another firm favourite. Broken into six miniature novellas, this doesn't require you to read any of her previous books and is quite a quick and easy read once you get into them. In fact you'll get that into each novella, you'll be disappointed when they come to an end. I actually started a similar style book from Paige Toon but it was a lot harder to get into as each one was a sub plot/novella from her previous books. This one however is a lot more easy to get into and I'm already halfway through it.

Christmas Cakes And Mistletoe Nights- Carole Matthews 
And the last book I'm recommending this festive period is another one from Carole Matthews. Christmas Cakes and Mistletoe Nights takes you back to two of Matthews' previous characters Danny and Fay. It does mean that some of the back story may be lost if you don't read it's counterpart but from reading a couple of pages, their back story seems quite easy to pick up on. This is on my to read pile but with the pace I'm reading at the moment, I don't know if I'll actually get around to reading this in it's entirety this Christmas. However that is the joy of having them in your collection, you can put them away and pull them again year after year to relive some of your favourites or to discover new favourites from unread purchases you may have made. 

No comments:

Post a Comment