Wednesday 19 December 2018

Recipe: Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake

I've always loved the look of a bundt cake. Growing up I always wondered how they made them round and as an adult I've spent years saying I need to invest in a bundt tin. And a few months ago I did just that. However it wasn't until recently that I actually used it. I based this bundt cake around one of my favourite Christmas confectionaries, the classic Terry's Chocolate Orange. A delicious orange flavour, in a light moist sponge, topped with milk chocolate which could be subsituted by a Terry's Chocolate Orange in fact.

Ingredients
250g Unsalted Butter
250g Plain Flour
225g Caster Sugar
30g Cocoa Powder 
4 Eggs
3 Tsp Orange Extract
1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp Salt
75g Milk Chocolate, melted

Method 
1- Pre heat your oven to 180C. Generously grease the inside of the bundt tin with butter.
2- Into your bowl place the unsalted butter, sugar and orange extract. Beat until pale in colour and fluffy in texture.
3- Add your eggs one at a time, beating well between. This is the time where I take a silicone spatula around the edges of the bowl so nothing is left sitting on the side.
4- Into your mixture sift the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Gently fold the dry ingredients in as to not knock the air you've just built up out of the mixture. If you're using a stand mixer I advise using the slowest of settings so you don't over mix the mixture.
5- Spoon the mixture into your prepared tin and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Don't worry if your cake doesn't look picture perfect when you take it out, it's only going to be the bottom of the cake once you've turned it out and nobody's looking at that much.
6- Leave to cool in the tin and then turn out onto a wire cooling rack, ready for decoration.
7- To decorate your cake, melt your milk chocolate over a bain marie or in short bursts in the microwave. I usually use a bain marie but I was feeling lazy so melted mine in the microwave but somehow managed to burn it slightly. However I still had enough unburnt melted chocolate to decorate.
8- For my decorations I just used a teaspoon dipped in chocolate to create a drizzle style pattern. You can create any pattern you want but as I made this late at night, a simple drizzle worked best for me.
9- Once you're happy with your decoration, leave to set, then cut into slices and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment