Sunday 3 December 2017

Christmas Decorating: Haul/Tips

It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year! This weekend just gone we decorated the house to get us in the festive mood. And whilst my house looks and smells like Christmas, I'm still not feeling it just yet. So I'm watching an array of Christmas movies as I write this, snuggled up in some Christmas pjs with some hot chocolate.

I started with my favourite part of decorating. Window Gels. They fun, somewhat cheesy and easy to add a little festive spirit to any mirror or window in the house. I didn't have any left over from last year so this year I was on the lookout for new ones. And when I saw these The Snowman and Snowdog window stickers I just couldn't resist. They're not as visible from the inisde as they are outside but they look cute and add a little something different to Christmas Decorations.





There were two designs to chose from with these gels but I couldn't decide so I just brought both. I think I like these more than the first set but both are cute and will definitely grab people's attention as they pass by. And at £1.99 a pack, it didn't break the bank, even if they only last this year.









I also found some adorable looking window gels in my local pound shop. It makes them perfect if they only last for this festive period but usually they last a bit longer even if they did only cost a pound a pack. I managed to get a Merry Christmas sign and a cute little Santa as well as a couple of others that I'll put below. If you've got young children these are perfect for getting them involved with the decorating that doesn't cause a mess.






There was also this cute snowman that I couldn't resist. They're not made of the greatest material but for a pound a pack they'll make do, even if it is only for Christmas 2017.












And the last lot I got was these cute little Christmas Trees which came with stars to dot around them but I used them as tree toppers instead. Word of warning when you decorate your window, don't be wearing head to toe cheesy Grinch Pjs because you will recieve some weird looks from passerbys. Luckily it wasn't as bad as when I decorated my windows for Halloween, forgetting I had a blue face mask on, then wondering why the builders over the road kept staring.




Once the window is done, it's time to move onto the second biggest thing in my room to decorate. My bookcase. This usually looks like I've thrown up Christmas all over it but this year I decided to scale it back a bit as A-I'm not feeling very fesitve and B- I had a few new bits I'd picked up that I wanted to feature more than the older stuff.








 The top shelf of my bookcase is filled with ornaments and pictures so I didn't want to do too much to it. So I simply just hung alternated between some very annoying but cute bells and these new ceramic heart plaques that I picked up from the range. I didn't know any other way to hang them apart from drawing pins but I didn't want to ruin my shelves. Plus they looked quite unsightly and ruined the effect. So I went with sellotape instead. It's probably not the most secure way of hanging them from a shelf,, especially as the hearts are ceramic but it'll have to do for now.



Then on the next shelf down I had to do some serious rearranging. Usually I have a ton of Marvel Pop Vinyl figures (yes I'm a nerd) but I've had to put them away to make room for Christmas. However once the Christmas decs come down they'll be back in their rightful place. In their places I've literally put the majority of my decorations. I spotted the cutest Gingerbread Men tea light holders in Primark back in October and couldn't resist picking them up. And they look brilliant sat each side of this Gingerbread candle which I also picked up in Primark. Now I won't be lighting the candle as I'm the worst and would probably end up burning down the house but it looks good and it's scent fills the room. Then next to those I placed some of my favourites from last year. The Reindeer, Santa and Snowman are all from The Range and when turned on all periodically change colour. They're really bright as well for such little ornaments but I don't turn them on as much as I'd like as the battery they take is unreplacable. Then in between those I picked up these cute little Snowmen from The Range as well. They light up and give the most magnificent glow even though they are tiny. Again whilst I love the look of them on, I won't be putting them on a lot as their battery again is very hard to replace.

I kept the shelf beneath it pretty simple as I have photos and mementos along it but I did hang these cute copper Stars and Christmas Trees from the top of it. I got these last year and whilst they're not your stereotypical copper shades, they add a nice twist to your standard Christmas colour scheme.









I love a good fairy light. If I thought I could I would literally cover my room in them. And when the holidays come around I do. This year I've had to scale it back though as I didn't have enough room to put five batches of battery operated fairy lights. A set I did manage to put up though are these cute little reindeers. They're on a flexible wire which is both a help and a hinderance. I spent ages trying to get them so they were all the right way up but it just wasn't going for me. So in the end I had to get over the fact that one reindeer in every curve would be upside down. When they're on though you can't tell any different, the brightness of their tiny bulbs diffusing the shape of the lights.


And the other set of lights I put up were these cute, cheesy looking Santas. I hung them over the canvases I have over my bed, them having enough wire to hang nicely over the two. These are so bright for such little lights. I think my room may start to look like Blackpool Illuminations once I turn them all on. I got these last year and also have a similar Reindeer set but I didn't have anywhere to put them so they've had to go back into storage. Maybe next year I'll put them out instead of the Santas.





And the last thing I did to make everything feel Christmassy was douse everything in Christmas scent. I used three different things to do this, the first being an Air Wick Mulled Wine Reed Diffuser. The smell of these is surprisingly strong and lasts for a long time. The second is Mulled Wine scented room spray. I douse everything and I mean everything in this. It doesn't last as long as the reed diffuser but still gives the room a good scent for a while. And the third is something that came to me at the end of last week. Pot Purri. I brought a Christmas scented pot purri and emptied it into this Santa mug that I didn't plan on using this year. It looks perfect sat on top of my clear storage and fills the room with a delicious scent that you can actually smell throughout the house. And next to him I've put some newly acquired salt and pepper shakers. We already have a Christmas themed set of salt and pepper shakers but I couldn't leave these in Primark when I saw them. And the best bit, they were only £3.

No comments:

Post a Comment